How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe
I noticed that unless you watch the video on You Tube, you don't get to see the description, which means you don't get the address for that spring making website I mentioned. It's well worth looking at for calculating spring rates, and it's loaded with information on winding your own. It even has a section on making clock springs.

How to Make Springs

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
That will teach you to joke on here Big Grin

Thanks for taking the time to do that Tom. I've read different post/sites and in my mind the guide was hand held and I never saw any mention of low speed or turning a "thread". As such, it always seemed fraught with danger. Actually seeing it done not only makes sense but highlights the fact that no matter how good you think your description might be, a demonstration is often the only way.

This is one time that I am glad my lathe speed goes down to 25 RPM :)
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

The hand held winders always made me nervous as well. Something about getting your hand that close to wire and rotating machinery just doesn't seem safe. This way, you hands are no where near the action and you can wind much heavier wire than you could ever hold by hand.

Twenty five rpm? At that speed you'd have time to go for a beer while the spring was winding. Smiley-eatdrink004

Tom
Thanks given by:
Tom,

I was wondering what type of chuck you're using in that video? It looks like a 6-jaw chuck holding a collet.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
No collet Ed, just a six jaw Bison.

Tom
Thanks given by: EdK
(06-24-2013, 09:46 AM)Mayhem Wrote: This is one time that I am glad my lathe speed goes down to 25 RPM :)

Lead foot! Rotfl

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4531]

Speaking of lead..... I have one of those little pocket sized plastic tubes filled with small diameter solder for electronics work. Makes handling and dispensing the solder very easy.
[Image: 370-052_s.jpg]

When I ran out of solder, instead of buying a new tube I decided to just wind a new coil from my large spool of flux core to replace it.
Here's a tip: Don't try to wind solder on a steel arbor. It doesn't want to come off afterwards, since it doesn't spring back and lead grabs steel pretty darn good. Slaphead

Next time I'll try nylon or acetal. Smiley-signs125
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-24-2013, 11:16 AM)TomG Wrote: No collet Ed, just a six jaw Bison.

Tom

Just a 6 jaw Bison!!!??? You Suck

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yes, I keep it on my Hardinge. Smiley-dancenana
Thanks given by:
Willie, I used to wind solder 'refills' using a variable-speed drill and a mandrel I made by putting a piece of rubber tubing on a length of 1/4" threaded rod. The tubing is held by washers and nuts at both ends. You tighten the nuts, causing the tubing to expand. When you're done winding, you loosen a nut and the roll of solder slides right off.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Great idea Mike! Thanks for that. Smile

Tom: Drool
Oh, and You Suck You Suck

Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by: