How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe
It'll be a while though. I'm heading North tomorrow for ten days of VACATION! Smiley-dancenana

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-03-2013, 02:15 PM)TomG Wrote: It'll be a while though. I'm heading North tomorrow for ten days of VACATION! Smiley-dancenana

Tom

No problem. Vacation definitely has priority.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Here's the mandrel calculator program for Windose. Let me know if anyone has any problems with it. I've included the source code and all files required to run it. Extract the contents of the ZIP file into a directory. The mandrel.exe file is the one you run to start the program. Just double click on it and it should start up.

Ed

Attached Files
.zip   mandrel.zip (Size: 1.2 MB / Downloads: 12)
Thanks given by: Highpower , Mayhem
Tom,
I'm needing to make a few of the "C" clips it's flat on two side, round on one , just stubs on the other. If I was to make a spring form with flat sides will the wire go and stay flat? They other wild idea could one roll out a length of music wire on the form and clip each one from the roll?

Thanks!
Smiley-dancenana
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
That may actually work. You would need to make the flats on the mandrel larger than needed to allow for spring in the wire, but I don't see ant reason why the wire wouldn't take that shape. Why don't you try it and let us know how it worked out?

Tom
Thanks given by:
I'll give it a try, working on my Bridgeport, so it will be a week or two, got another thick spring to make, picture show it better than I can explain, just a little bit of a hook on the one end, looks fairly straight forward, lathe in back gear and on lowest speed should do the trick.

oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
(07-16-2013, 09:49 PM)oldgoaly Wrote: I'll give it a try, working on my Bridgeport, so it will be a week or two, got another thick spring to make, picture show it better than I can explain, just a little bit of a hook on the one end, looks fairly straight forward, lathe in back gear and on lowest speed should do the trick.

That's a good sized spring. Good luck with it and be sure to keep us posted on how it goes.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom: Thanks or a fine video!! Well done and
vert infomative.

Ron
steamtoys, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the compliment Ron, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Tom - I remembered a question I had. If you cannot exactly match the pitch of the spring to a thread pitch your lathe can do, should you go up or down to the closest one?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: