How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe
ok got the end loop formed on the diarco, now to form the coils??? going to need to rethink the wire guide?
Did I mention .162 is some tough stuff, my boy says "this stuff has some spring to it" duuuhhhh

so calculated the length added some for a error or two, so any ideas on a beefed up guide? maybe need to make a weldment, mount to the toolpost?

here is a pic of wire stock before a section was cut, it did cut with a bolt cutter.

oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I don't think your rocker tool post is gonna hold with wire that stout. You're gonna need to bold the guide right to the compound. Make sure the compound is tightened down good as well.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I had made a spinning tool guide out of 3/4" sq bar stock, that maybe the way to go? maybe a 1/4" guide hole and a tightening screw at 90 degrees to put a little drag on it. I have enough wire to make 3, if I go to make more???? might make a heavy duty set up.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by: bross
Sounds beefy enough. You won't need the tension screw though, the friction on the guide generated while bending the wire will provide more than enough tension.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: