New lathe Chester DB8
Hi All, I have a new toy to add to the workshop, A smaller lathe, a Chester DB8 4 inch centre height and 14 inches between centres I think from memory. An old friend of mine was selling it due to getting too old for standing in sheds making things, so offered it to me at a good price. For once I have bought something that just works and has everything you need with it Drool
The lathe has not had much use and from new has been fitted with Newall DRO and inverter drive, it also came with 3 jaw scroll chuck, 4 jaw independent chuck , 4 jaw scroll chuck, face plate , 2 & 3 point steadies , quick change tool post and 7 holders, change gears and a box of lathe tools, a quick clean and oil and its ready to go.............I think thats the first time I have ever said that !!

Oh and its on its own bench too.

[Image: Carvednumberchesterlathe043.jpg]

[Image: Carvednumberchesterlathe038.jpg]

[Image: Carvednumberchesterlathe039.jpg]

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Well Mick, I think you deserve one of these: You Suck

That looks like a nice little lathe.

Ed
Thanks given by:
That's some nice stuff there. I especially like the Tail stock design. You can see it's a much better design than what's
currently shipping on most 7X units. It's obviously been well taken care of too.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
Well that is very nice Thumbsup
You Suck Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Looks pretty happy there beside it's new BIG green brother. I notice threading/feed charts on the headstock but no knobs or handles, did you get all of those pesky change gears? Congrats.
And by the way, You Suck Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Cute little thing. What's the top end of the spindle speed range on it?

And like stevec says...how do you change the feed rates and/or thread lead? It kind of looks like you have a single lead screw there rather than separate feed rod and lead screw, so does that lead screw have a keyway in it like the older South Bend and other "hobby shop" lathes do?
Thanks given by:
My guess is that it is change gear driven with no carriage feed. My friend has something similar and we are going to be hooking a 12V DC motor from a golf bag (the one that most people just pull, not the ones you sit on and drive) to the rear of the leadscrew to provide a carriage feed.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren, I'm assuming you meant cross feed? 17428
Willie
Thanks given by:
Z axis - moving the carriage towards/away from the headstock
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: