New lathe Chester DB8
If there is no carriage feed, why would it have a lead screw then? 17428

Or are you talking about engaging/disengaging/reversing the lead screw?
I'm not sure of what you are saying. Blush

Mini-lathes have a tumbler gear lever on the rear of the headstock that accomplishes that and would not be visible in that picture. Perhaps that is the case? [Image: spamafote.gif]
Willie
Thanks given by:
The change gears on my mates small lathe do not enable the leadscrew and half nut to be used to feed the carriage for turning (only threading).
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2013, 08:12 AM)Mayhem Wrote: The change gears on my mates small lathe do not enable the leadscrew and half nut to be used to feed the carriage for turning (only threading).
Ahhh.... I think I understand now. You are talking about fine feeds that are slower than the smallest thread pitch available via the change gears?
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yes - but had tremendous difficulty in saying that Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Well you have still got me beat 99% of the time. I'm the worst of the worst when it comes to trying to 'splain myself most of the time. It's a gift. Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2013, 09:26 PM)Highpower Wrote: Well you have still got me beat 99% of the time. I'm the worst of the worst when it comes to trying to 'splain myself most of the time. It's a gift. Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
That seemed pretty clear to me Willie. (I wonder what you meant?)
Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2013, 08:27 AM)stevec Wrote: (I wonder what you meant?)
Rotfl

That's OK Steve, so does everyone else..... Blush
I'm not a writer - obviously.

It looks like Mick's lathe will do 44TPI (0.4mm) threads. What is that in inches/mm per revolution? 17428

My 7x10 will do 52 TPI and it gives me a near mirror finish on aluminium. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
hi well my lathe you can cut threads and have power feed it says so in the book
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: