Does anybody actually use the Spindle clamp and set screw when mounting a lathe chuck
So I'm going through the owners manual on my new Grizzly Lathe and ran across
the section on removing/mounting a chuck ( 3 or 4 jaw). The manual is here for those interested (it's a pdf);
http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g9972z_m.pdf (page 20).
According to the manual you should put the spindle clamps and set screw back on after mounting one of the chucks. This seems like overkill for most normal operations. The chucks are left hand thread so under normal turning/facing operations the chucks are going
to try and tighten down, not loosen, correct? So unless I'm missing something the spindle clamps and set screw set seems superfluous unless your doing some odd running in reverse operation. Am I right or do I really need to put theses things back on
every time I change the chucks? Chin
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
I had a HF 9x20 with the same spindle clamp. I always put the clamp on when changing the chuck. It's cheap safety insurance since it only takes 30 seconds to install. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2013, 07:39 PM)marfaguy Wrote: The chucks are left hand thread so under normal turning/facing operations the chucks are going
to try and tighten down, not loosen, correct?

Err, no, surely if its left hand thread it will try to loosen itself ? Myfords and Boxfords are right hand threads and try to tighten under normal use so . . . .

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009 Ed and Smiley-signs009 Mike
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
None of my threaded spindles have clamps. Wish they did.
Thanks given by:
Point taken. I know it won't come loose under normal turning/facing operations. But it's nice to know that even if I
have a complete screw up the chuck or face plate can't come off.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by: