50 best homemade tools ebook
I had assumed that the people making the items were those who submitted them...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
My projects were taken from here and another site. Don't remember how I found the site.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(07-04-2013, 03:41 PM)EdK Wrote: Hmmm, I assumed the owner would have gotten permission from the originators of the projects to post them on their web site. It appears that is not the case. Seems a bit unethical to me. Chin

Ed

I am not trying to be argumentative but I wonder how his site differs from Google.

Google scans the web and organizes what it finds in a way that makes it easy for other to find stuff. It even harvests pictures so you can see images that are on other sites. Google then provides a brief synopsis of what is there and a link to the site where it found the information and images.

I do not know who the owner of the homemade tools site is but it looks like he manually scans the web, harvests pictures and information about what is on various sites, provides a a brief synopsis of what is there and a link to the site where he found the information and images.

The significant difference is that a human is doing this ... or at least we are all assuming that a human is doing this ... rather than a mindless machine, but other than that I think the process and the outcome are very similar.

Just wondering out loud ... have my fire suit on ... and have been married for 30 years so "you idiot, can't you see the obvious difference" will not be a new phrase to me.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(07-05-2013, 07:20 PM)arvidj Wrote:
(07-04-2013, 03:41 PM)EdK Wrote: Hmmm, I assumed the owner would have gotten permission from the originators of the projects to post them on their web site. It appears that is not the case. Seems a bit unethical to me. Chin

Ed

I am not trying to be argumentative but I wonder how his site differs from Google.

Google scans the web and organizes what it finds in a way that makes it easy for other to find stuff. It even harvests pictures so you can see images that are on other sites. Google then provides a brief synopsis of what is there and a link to the site where it found the information and images.

I do not know who the owner of the homemade tools site is but it looks like he manually scans the web, harvests pictures and information about what is on various sites, provides a a brief synopsis of what is there and a link to the site where he found the information and images.

The significant difference is that a human is doing this ... or at least we are all assuming that a human is doing this ... rather than a mindless machine, but other than that I think the process and the outcome are very similar.

Just wondering out loud ... have my fire suit on ... and have been married for 30 years so "you idiot, can't you see the obvious difference" will not be a new phrase to me.

Arvid

Arvid,

You make some good points. The difference I see is that Google does it by a mindless machine. I'm assuming the homemade tools is done by a human with a conscience. Yes, Google's mindless machine is programmed by a human so a conscience should be involved. I guess I just look at it as if I were to create such a web site, I would get the authors permission to post their content. I'm not saying homemade tools is right or wrong, just not the way I'd deal with it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
You know what they say, once you put it out there it belongs to everybody.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
My brother put stuff on another forum & it ended up on there with his ''handle'' as well.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by: