Turkish Mauser I'm rebarreling.
Looks like fun. I too bought a 98 Mauser action for "future" use and found a new .243 barrel to thread for it. This will be my 2nd .234 build as in '92 i rebarreled a GEW 88 with a used .243 barrel that i traded a welding job for and turned the threads off to rethread to fit my action. Its a great shooter...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(06-30-2013, 09:36 AM)aametalmaster Wrote: Looks like fun. I too bought a 98 Mauser action for "future" use and found a new .243 barrel to thread for it. This will be my 2nd .234 build as in '92 i rebarreled a GEW 88 with a used .243 barrel that i traded a welding job for and turned the threads off to rethread to fit my action. Its a great shooter...Bob
I hope that's just a typo. Blush
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
Yes .243 thanks...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Nice start on the Mauser. These lend themselves well to custom touches and the aftermarket is loaded with goodies. The Turkish is a step-child of sorts. Some had large ring receivers with small ring threads. And the variations can be very confusing. Back in the 80s I sporterized quite a few. My favorite was in 8mm-06 Ackley Improved. Sadly, it got gone to pay bills. I will have another one day. Until then, I'll follow along misty-eyed...

BTW: I rebarreled an old Remmy 721 that was chambered in .235. (No typo-.243 necked down.) I still have the barrel, dies, brass and some bullets.
pamrick, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: