Tetra Gun grease
Hi,
I've looked and looked just can't find if this Tetra (Fluoropolymer) grease is Teflon/PTFE based or not.
This stuff: http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1
Anyone know?

Please guys don't do a hardware shop on meBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
A lot of people have been trying to find that out for a lot of years now Dave. FTI says it's a "trade secret". Angry

All I know is it separates after sitting undisturbed, and you have to kneed the tube for several minutes to get it to mix again. I still use the heck out of it though. I like it. Happyyes

.pdf   Tetra Gun Grease.pdf (Size: 963.04 KB / Downloads: 7)
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Willie,
No wonder I couldn't find out much about it.
I just want to know if it is any good for lubricating O rings, and is there any silicone in it? I know I can use use silicone grease to lubricate O rings, but I prefer not to especially around aluminium.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I am surprised there is no MSD sheet for it. I thought that was required. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
Dave,

(PTFE) Polytetrafluoroethylene. Chin Chin Chin (Edit: dang dyslexia {PFTE} got me again.)
My guess is they don't hold a license with DuPont to use the word Teflon®.

Some of their older MSDS sheets used to list some components as being a neurotoxin. Yikes That might have been one of their oil products though.
And the current gun grease is a "new" formula. Chin

I can tell you that the gun grease does dry out over time and start to get 'crusty', so I would not recommend it (for o-rings) myself. Smiley-gen163
Willie
Thanks given by: DaveH
Natural glycerin is what I used on water filtration units, up to and including large RO systems. No problem with the o-rings, and the water washes out any excess, so I had no problems with it. Used it on 316L s/s as well as a few other stainlesses in contact with the fiberglass of the factory RO housings. The high pressure housings I designed were all metal, and still used glycerin for lubing up the o-rings with never a problem. Normally, I chose Viton, which is overkill for ordinary water, but some of the water we designed for was polluted with who knows what, so the decision was to build for worst case, hence the Viton.
Thanks given by: DaveH
What I am still trying to figure out, is why a company would use two different lubricants on the same part? 17428 17428 17428

I have a few Surefire flashlights that could use some lube, but I don't know that I want to have to purchase multiple formulations. Doesn't make sense to me. Slaphead
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,
Silicone is an excellent lubricant for O rings, but it really bad for aluminium.
This is my problem as well, looking for one lubricant that is good for both O rings and aluminium. It's seems that a Teflon/PTFE lubricant will do for both.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2013, 10:33 AM)DaveH Wrote: Silicone is an excellent lubricant for O rings, but it really bad for aluminium.
This is my problem as well, looking for one lubricant that is good for both O rings and aluminium.

How about good ole petroleum jelly. That's what our guys in the repair shop used for the finer things that needed lubed. Just my thought...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(08-25-2013, 06:22 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: How about good ole petroleum jelly. That's what our guys in the repair shop used for the finer things that needed lubed. Just my thought...Bob
I forgot about that, I remember years ago at work they would use it on some rubber seals. I'll have to look into it.
Thanks Bob.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: