My new toy
Well, after a bit of waiting, I brought home my latest baby. Here she is still on the trailer. Needs a bath, which I'll do most of outside, before bringing her into the shop. I have to either seriously rearrange the place, or get rid of some stuff. Can't really add on right now. What to you guys think?

[Image: IMG_5964_zps7cf0b910.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5965_zps476b3c73.jpg]

[Image: IMG_5966_zps1597bca5.jpg]

It's a 1994 model, has a Sony DRO, 10 HP and a 3 1/4" spindle hole. No steady, so I'll be making one. No taper attachment either, but I've contacted Mighty USA to see what's available. I hope to get it in next week. I have too many of some things, and a couple of projects taking up space that need to go.
Thanks given by:
WOW! Congratulations Tony.

I don't know the country of origin though it hardly matters if you can get parts when you need them. That thing is a beast, and I mean that in the nicest way. The apron looks HUGE, and I suppose it has to be to carry all the gearing that gets the feed clutches up to that big "joystick." What's the spindle speed range? With 10HP you can really take some serious cuts using negative rake carbide tooling.

The big through hole is really nice. I assume that means the spindle is the larger D1-8 size, so did you get any other spindle tooling besides the 3-jaw scroll chuck? The only difficulty in tooling is finding a collet closer. If you ever needed one, go with the big 16J or similar.

Do you have enough power to use the machine to it's fullest? Is it wired for 230V 3-phase or higher voltage?

Nice lathe, really nice!
Thanks given by:
Nice lathe Tony - what is the joystick for?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren,

I'm just guessing here but I don't see any feed clutch or clutches, nor a change lever to switch from X-axis infeed to Z-axis, so my assumption is that the "joystick" *is* the selector/clutch for feeds.

The only lever on the apron must be the half nut for threading.
Thanks given by:
(07-06-2013, 02:17 AM)Tony Wells Wrote: Well, after a bit of waiting, I brought home my latest baby. Here she is still on the trailer. Needs a bath, which I'll do most of outside, before bringing her into the shop. I have to either seriously rearrange the place, or get rid of some stuff. Can't really add on right now. What to you guys think?

I think you won the lottery. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

VERY nice haul Tony. Drool
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi
Very nice looking lathe
Be very handy for the smaller stuff DroolDroolDroolDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by:
Well it certainly is aptly named. That thing is a monster! We expect pictures of deployment, of course.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Wow, very nice Tony, Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Yup, I got power. 400 amps 3 phase in the shop. Sometimes I wish I had gone 480, but I didn't This machine is 240/480. Currently it is wired for 240, so that's not going to be a problem. That joystick is a 4 way for feed control, with a button in the middle for rapid traverse. As I recall, the speed range is 85-1600 RPM. I believe it is D1-8. I got that 16" 4 jaw there on the trailer also. Please ignore the qctp, that has to go. I have a better one for it. That one is just kind of sitting there.

I'm not much on collet work, so probably will spend time and money on a steady rest and a taper attachment. But then, I could convert one of the other lathes to collet probably easier.

I think it is Taiwan, although it is marked China. The fit and finish on these Mighty machines is pretty good. I have run a few, including the Comet line of VMC and found no complaint.

More pictures as we go....

I also have about 100 of the loadout. Handed my camera to the mom of the youngster helping me and my brother. Told her to "take a few" pictures.....LOL, she did. I may upload them to a PB account and just give a link. I'll sort them first. Some of them are so close together in time that they could make a flipbook. Maybe she was expecting a disaster! LOL!
Thanks given by:
The TPI on that lead-screw looks to be about 1.

Ed
Thanks given by: