16" backgeared Cinci
Hallo Dallen

I 'm making my own shaper. This part I made from one piece of steel with a bronze bushing. Have a look at the pictures on page 2 of "Gerard's Shaper Design". Maybe it can help you. If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Gerard
Thanks given by:
Gerard thanks for the offer of help, I have had thoughts of making it out of steel, it would be a lot less work. When I started this project I had planned on coping the one on my 7 inch delta shaper but I had to change my thinking after looking at it the Delta design won't work because of the linkage rod connecting on the bottom, so after a lengthy search on the internet and only finding the one picture I posted above I said to heck with it and the wood pattern I posted in the last photo is what I have came up with for now, the guy that has the shaper in the above photo has offered to take some better pictures this winter when he has time to work on the shaper, I understand him waiting till then as the summer is a pretty busy place in the middle of alaska.

I am in the process of applying wood filler to create radiused corners and draft so that in the next few days I want to pour the part out of aluminum as a test part to see if it will actually work.

main item is to get a power source on the shaper so that I can run it, and find the latch bar for the door latch, I seem to of have lost it.

and before I forget, thats a beautiful machine that you have designed and built.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
this things starting to look a little redneck, but I have it where it will run. cut some brass and cast iron with it.

here's a shot of the motor mounted on the transmission

Thanks given by:
Make a cover and who will know? If it works, it works and that is all that matters. Now we expect to see a video of it in action!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
couple of things I have to take care of first, like the lash in the clapper head feed screw it needs a spacer cut and put in so it will stop jumping up and down.

but should have some video today,

Thanks given by:
video's not the best but it show's the shaper running with the gas engine on it, disregard the two electric motors on the ground one has bad bearings I think anyway it pulls way too many amps when trying to start, and the other one is three phase which I don't have.

clicking the photo should take you to the video if it doesn't let me know and I'll try something else

DAvid

[Image: th_Shaperunderpower.jpg]

Thanks given by:
It looks like it works quite nicely. Nice job of getting it functional. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
WOW a portable shaper. Very nice...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
The proof they say is in the pudding. Nice job Dave.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
thanks guy's, its nice to see the old gal actually move and cut metal. I still have a ways to go and I don't think it will ever cut like it did when it was new, like they say in Texas its been rode hard and put up wet too many times. all the bores need to be line bored and new shafts made and I just can't see any way to squeeze the budget for the funds.

but it is a fun project.

DA

Thanks given by: