Where not to buy a DRO from HXX
I bought a DRO from these people. I'm kind of glad I hadn't seen this writeup first as it might have put me off.

I got 3 axis DRO with 3 glass scales 500mm, 400mm, 300mm for $338 which included DHL to New Zealand. This took some haggling. Purchased on aliexpress.com. Found out later I could have had 1 micron scales for an extra $50

The manual is, well rather amusing to say the least.
"The function is introduced: Eliminate consumer coordinate system SDM300 Group The plain is interposed. Eliminate the queen. SDBMCoordinate system has to demonstrate value and ABS coordinate system has to demonstrate value equality."

Still, it's easy enough to figure out as the pictures are clear. It doesn't help tell you why you would want the functions, so some youtubing would be helpful for both operating and installing.

Packing was on a par with other budget chinese product - there was some minor scuffing from rough handling and metal on metal contact that better packaging would have prevented. I had to remind myself it will get marked up soon enough, and that at the price I paid, there wasn't much margin left for them to be spending time shoving stuff in individual bags like others do but at a higher price. Bracketry and screws are pretty sh!*, so I'll be making my own brackets (after all that's what the mill is for), and using stainless screws.

The display I was sent was the GCS900-3DA so it has all silver buttons rather than multi-colour like in their pictures. Same functions, and it looks good, but it could be an issue if you wanted it to match an existing display for a colour coordinated workshop. I was expecting (and got) the 8 LED function display rather than LCD. I find LCD hard to read so happy with that. I was expecting (but didn't get) RS232 output, but I have no immediate need for that and not overly worried. It's very light and empty sounding. Typical chinese ABS so should be fine as long as I don't drop it.

I found I needed to be very specific about what I wanted. It took many emails before I was sure I was getting the right lengths, and resolution. Length, overall length, travel length seem easily confused. They are probably Google translating your emails and I doubt Google understands "resolution" in a linear scale sense enough to translate to Chinese. After I asked for 5u instead of "what resolution" I got an immediate response. The responder I don't think knew much about the product but was happy to answer all my questions. Shipping was good, I received within 10 days of order.

Generally a good product though. It works well and has all the functions of the more expensive units. Instant startup and no calculation lag that I've seen on other units. It's not mounted yet but seems accurate from bench testing against my micrometers. Display is a little cryptic due to display limitations, but seem identical to others I've seen on youtube.

Certainly it's a low entry price - the cheapest deal I could find, and if (like me) price is the difference between having a DRO or not, then I'd recommend these. If you expect bridgeport quality, multi-year warranties, or are fastidious and cannot stand plastic bits that need to be snapped into place, or brackets that need to have a file run over the edges, then this unit is perhaps not for you. Go spend your unlimited budget elsewhere.

I would definately recommend, and will buy HXX again for my lathe when I can.
Prophet Of Doom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2014.
Thanks given by:
Good review Prophet. Thumbsup

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Ed
Thanks given by:
i just had a similar experiance I purchased a gcs900-3da and scales from hxx
delivery was great for nzdhl 6 days couldnt wait to get it out of the box , well packaged connected it up and found it was 3 axis x y z i only wanted a 2 axis but oh well never mind 3s good
x axis no go
y axis good
z axis good
changed scales etc x stillcrook manual toiletpaper??/
emails to sales person no reply
getting annoyed found forum thought o sh t
done my dough then hey presto
the email come to life a day later and most helpfulthey sent me a link to a video that does a factory reset tryed that no go
then he informs me tht they have had some cable movement when shipped
please remove back and push wire ribbon into holder which i did and it works like a charm so very happy chappie all smiles
donny meads, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by:
Smile 
Thumbsupall smiles here now, I decided that I didn't like having a spare z axis on my gs900 3dro so with brain in gear ,
I decided that I would take the dti to task and used the z axis as my dti
heavy magnet out of a speaker ,tapped a 8mm hole through the centre, attached a supplied bracket to the magnet with 8mm ss bolt, two 6mm screws hold the scale to the bracket. holes a bit of a problem to attach probe to end ,
a broken needle file shaft , rounded on the linisher did the job and attached by a 5mm screw from underneath to a 7mm shaft with a 3mm hole in it to take the probe . a weak spring to keep it against the work and pluged it in to the dro z axis .got a old shaft and put in the 4 jaw turned to jaw one read dro turned to jaw three read dro divided the difference and adjusted jaws ,
same on jaws 2 and 4 adjusted work to settings hey presto in the middle easy as very happy chappy , only problem is the amount of effort to remove magnet from the bed
donny meads, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2014.
Thanks given by: