Where not to buy a DRO from HXX
I was pissed off, but was more concerned with working with them to fix the problem so I didn't loose my money.
Ed they told me the damage was done in transit when the damage was under the thick tight foam packing, no way could it have been done. I think they where trying to get the DHL to pay for it in the beginning. Hopefully this comes up in google searches and brings their new customers here to read about these problems.

Damage and problems aside, it will be good for some jobs having the Y axis and ram scales so if I have to move the ram halfway through a job like I have done, I still know where I am. I always align the ram and the Y axis to run true to each other.
Having the quill and knee with separate readouts instead of changing the cables each time like I did with the 3 axis will be a lot better.

I still need to see how I will mount the lathe tail stock glass scale on it, but will figure out something.
Being a milling DRO I can use the holes in an angle line to set my compound and taper attachment at an angle, and I set the X axis cross slide axis to 0.002mm instead of 0.001mm to get diameter instead of radius.
The dedicated lathe readouts have a taper button and a radius/diameter button which makes it easier, but I have been working with a mill DRO on the lathe for some time now so know how to do it.

The 5th axis on the DRO can either be linear or rotary if needed, the Rotary mode goes down to 0000.00.00 for Degrees, minutes and seconds. Not sure if I will ever use it as that takes away one of the needed axis's.

Would not be bad readouts if they just work out the bugs, but at this stage it's unlikely.

With this latest buy I was going to sell some DRO gear to recoup some money as I have 5 x 3-5 axis DRO's and 15 odd scales, but with the problems I have had I might be better off keeping them just in case.
Have the spare milling one for when the lathe broke down was a good because I would be lost without them after using them for so many years, I hate dial and counting hand wheels, LOL.

Dave
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by Dave J - 07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by PixMan - 07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by EdK - 07-09-2013, 05:37 AM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by Mayhem - 07-09-2013, 07:42 AM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by DaveH - 07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by Dave J - 07-10-2013, 07:48 PM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by EdK - 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by DaveH - 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
RE: Where not to buy a DRO from HXX - by Dave J - 07-12-2013, 08:12 PM