Lathe Chuck Backing Plate
I have a 5C Collet Chuck for my lathe. I have yet to be able to use it due to the fact I don’t have a backing plate for it. I have a Craftex CX701 Lathe that uses three threaded studs to attach the backing plates to the spindle. But I have not found one available to fit my lathe. 

So I would like to machine one. What material should I use for a backing plate? I would like something that is easy to machine while producing a nice finish.

I would have to start off with at least a 6” dia x 1” thick disk to be able to pull this off!

Trevor
Lathe - Craftex CX701, Mill - Craftex B30 Mill/Drill, DRO - blu-DRO
Thanks given by:
This shows my Spindle, 3 Jaw Backing Plate, and the 5C Collet Chuck I have. 

Trevor
Thanks given by:
(11-19-2023, 09:56 PM)Cross Slide Wrote: What material should I use for a backing plate? I would like something that is easy to machine while producing a nice finish.

Cast iron would be the best material for that part.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(11-19-2023, 10:47 PM)EdK Wrote:
(11-19-2023, 09:56 PM)Cross Slide Wrote: What material should I use for a backing plate? I would like something that is easy to machine while producing a nice finish.

Cast iron would be the best material for that part.

Ed

Smiley-signs064

Plain old gray cast iron, cut it dry, cover the ways on your lathe while cutting it and have a shop vac handy. It makes a powdery mess but worth it when you are done. Wearing a face mask/filter while cutting is also recommended should you not want to end up blowing black snot out of your sinuses for a week. Ask me how I know... Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks Guys.
I did a search from a couple steel suppliers in and around Saskatchewan Canada with not much luck finding large cast iron available.
So I placed an other from McMaster Carr. I was able to find Impact-Resistant Ductile Cast Iron Disc 6" Diameter, 1" Long. I hope it is the correct stuff?!!!! 
I have drilled and tapped Cast Iron before. But I have never done and turning of Cast Iron. I’m looking forward to trying this. I have heard Cast Iron is really nice to turn… Other than the mess!!!

Trevor
Thanks given by:
(11-20-2023, 08:21 AM)Cross Slide Wrote: I was able to find Impact-Resistant Ductile Cast Iron Disc 6" Diameter, 1" Long. I hope it is the correct stuff?

That'll do just fine. Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your adventure.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I made a new backplate recently for my four jaw chuck out of cast iron because some idiot had made it out of aluminium ,I had never turned cast before but found it very nice to turn albeit very messy .
Dell
Old man but still learning 
Thanks given by: