Let's See Your Lathe
Looks like a nice lathe Steve. I'm assuming it does both metric and US threads?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice looking lathe, new mill and it sounds like the phase-converter build has taken a new direction. I say let the other stuff wait. Big Grin
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
(08-15-2017, 07:39 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Looks like a nice lathe Steve.  I'm assuming it does both metric and US threads?

I haven't actually confirmed, but according to the specs, its a "Norton type gearbox - 31 inch threads from 2 to 56, 18 metric threads from 0.5 to 9"

Steve
Thanks given by:
(08-15-2017, 07:44 AM)Pete O Wrote: Nice looking lathe, new mill and it sounds like the phase-converter build has taken a new direction. I say let the other stuff wait. Big Grin

Phase converter is still the same config, but after struggling for quite a while with a starting issue on the lathe I finally found it was caused by the hacked together step up transformer I was using (made from an old welding transformer). Basically the 415v output was dropping to 240v under high current.
Bit the bullet and parted with a fair few dollars to get a proper 5KVA transformer.
Hooked it up tonight in place of the old one, and the lathe now starts perfectly on the low speed winding (3hp). Its still not starting directly on the high speed winding (5hp), but I can start it initially on low speed then flick the switch to high speed once its spinning.

The RPC still needs some tuning, but at least its actually working now. The next bottleneck will be that I'm still running it off a 15A circuit as my electrician hasn't installed the new 32A circuit yet. I'm getting close to 10A draw on that circuit with the lathe running but not cutting, so I reckon a decent cut is going to trip the breaker.

The higher priority jobs include pre-spring gardening tasks for the financial controller, and replacing the head gasket on my old landrover. The importance of the first item is obvious, but the significance of the landrover is its our main camping/towing vehicle. Again, its about keeping the financial controller happy Cool

Steve
Thanks given by:
My lathe is a Craftex CX701. I bought it from the estate of my dads best friend. He only had it for maybe 2 years. So it's still in almost new condition. It's a 12x28". Will cut both Imperial and Metric threads with gear changes. Now I just have to figure out how to use it!!! 

Thanks given by:
(05-18-2017, 05:08 AM)Andy T Wrote: Got it all back together and very pleased with the result, it's a very chunky and sturdy machine and every thing moves smoothly, I only replaced the taper roller bearing at the back end of the main spindle and all's fine.

Andy,

I'm curious as to how much time start to finish, was put into this project?
 Nice looking piece for sure.

Greg
Magazines have issues, everything else has problems

Thanks given by:
The new Southbend 10K. I did a DC motor conversion and now it is an amazing machine within it's capabilities.

[Image: 31237346872_8f3db78a0f_h.jpg]

Robert
"but will it work when I get it back together?"  - Me
Thanks given by:
I have three, here are two of them (the third is a tiny Chinese-made jeweler's lathe).  In the foreground is a 1945 Sheldon EXL-56B, in the background is a forty-something year old Emco-Maier "Compact Eight".

Thanks given by:
Here be my first ever lathe, an 8x14 with a 38mm bore, Chinese I,m afraid, but hey, we all have to start somewhere right? Thumbsup 

[attachment=15881]

Cheers.

Roy.
Light travels faster than sound!
This is why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!
Preserve nature...…….Pickle a squirrel! 
Thanks given by:
Looks like a beefy little lathe, Roy. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: