Let's See Your Lathe
(02-21-2012, 09:31 PM)Mayhem Wrote: I will take some more pics. Do you want them here or do you want a rebuild thread?

Mayhem,
A new thread would be nice, titled something like "Rebuild of ........."

or whatever title you fancy.
:)
DaveH

Thanks given by:
(02-22-2012, 06:59 AM)DaveH Wrote: Mayhem, A new thread would be nice, titled something like "Rebuild of ........." or whatever title you fancy...

I will make sure I get around to doing this.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi
This is my boxford lathe
3 phase running with a digital phase converter
[Image: PA270035.jpg]
[Image: P9270023.jpg]
[Image: P8290077.jpg]
John
Thanks given by:
Very nice lathe John.
It looks to be fairly stout and could do some damage. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
John,

What a nice looking lathe, and so cleanBig Grin

Was it a restoration project?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
HI all this is my bit of kit its a emco compact 8 its mising its compawnd slide i have a one of a miford lm7 fited im on the look out for the proper one

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
As long as it can make chips, that's all the counts. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Well, since I had to repair the screw feed shaft on the x-feed gearbox of my mill, I thought I would post some current pics of my lathe. The threads were shot on the end of the shaft, so I turned down the threads and cut new ones. Original was M12x1.5, now is M10x1.5. This is just to retain the handle, so no issues with turning down the diameter.

The 4 jaw chuck cannot grab such a small diameter shaft and since I have not jet made a backing plate, the 4 jaw is holding the 3 jaw, which is holding the shaft :)

As previously stated, I am still working on getting the auto feed working on this lathe. Some bits were missing and I have had to fill in the blanks by looking at another similar lathe located in the far North of WA. In this pic, I have added the large feed gear to a mock stub shaft. The stub shaft will have the drive gears, which will mate with the gears on the feed shaft (missing from the pic).

A shot from the tail end. Note the QCTP.

Thanks given by:
Mayhem,

Looking good, do you have the gears?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(02-26-2012, 08:02 AM)DaveH Wrote: ...do you have the gears?...

I have all the change gears (more than listed on the chart) and some of those used in the feed system. I have the cluster for the drive shaft and need to get a corresponding set made for the driven shaft. I also need the worm gear that runs on the driven shaft and the clutch needed to drive the cross slide. The gears that make up the cluster on the driven shaft are independent of each other and are separated by bevelled edge spacers. The speed selector handle (the big one on the front of the headstock) has 5 positions 1-n-2-n-3 and there is a spring loaded key in the feed shaft. In the neutral position, the key is depressed by the bevelled spacer. Similar to a detent ball.

There is a similar machine up North that is larger and most likely newer than mine. It is too similar to be made my a different company and the owner is also unable to trace its origin. He was however good enough to pull his driven gears off of the shaft and take measurements and pics to help me out.

My lathe appears to have originally had an idler in line with the small chain sprocket on the tumbler, as the drive shaft was much too short for it to be a direct drive. I have made two brackets to support a longer drive shaft, so the large sprocket required to give a 3.8:1 ratio will line up. Once I get time to write a dedicated thread it will be much clearer (I hope).

Thanks given by: