Let's See Your Lathe
Thank you stevec you explain what I do not know translate.
Welrod, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
Hi! New member here from the Sacramento, CA area.

Just last night I finished the cleanup of my new (to me) lathe. It is a Clausing/Colchester 11" gear head lathe (11x30). It is known as a Colchester Bantam 2000 in the UK. It was built in 1979. This happens to be the youngest machine in my little workshop.

When I received it, it had grease, oil and grime over much of it, but had little to no wear. I retained the stock 2hp 3ph motor, and installed a VFD to manage it. I now have variable speed and a MachTach installed. The panel that it's mounted on is temporary until I can build a suitable dedicated enclosure.

This lathe is probably the one that my Wife will have to bury me with! haha It's a dream to run and I really enjoy it.

I bought it with a Buck 3-jaw chuck, an Aloris QCTP and six tool holders, but little else. I am actively searching for a follow rest and steady rest for it. I would prefer original, but I may have to resort to other options. They are difficult to find!

Guy

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Now that is a nice lathe. Well done on the clean up. Any 'before' pics? Looks to have a decent spindle bore too.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thank you! Actually, I'm still cleaning it up but it's not taking as much time as the VFD installation did. I'm afraid that I don't have any decent photos of it before cleanup.

The spindle bore is 1.375".

As soon as I finish and install the back splash, I'll be able to place it in it's designated spot along the wall. Then I can get back to work assembling my 1967 Bridgeport J head.

Thanks again,

Guy

(06-18-2012, 11:32 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Now that is a nice lathe. Well done on the clean up. Any 'before' pics? Looks to have a decent spindle bore too.
Thanks given by:
Question about the Mach Tach, what kind of sensor did you choose to use and how's it working for you?

I've got a Mach Tach built and sitting next to my desk but I haven't made a case for it yet.

Thanks,

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Ron,

I used the standard IR sensor that comes with the kit. I fabricated a small aluminum bracket that I mounted to the lathe's end guard mounting stud. I then wrapped a small portion of the outer spindle with black gorilla tape, then cut thin strips of the reflective tape that comes in the kit. I used eight strips, but could have used fewer.

It works great!

Here's a pic:

(06-19-2012, 02:36 AM)ScrapMetal Wrote: Question about the Mach Tach, what kind of sensor did you choose to use and how's it working for you?

I've got a Mach Tach built and sitting next to my desk but I haven't made a case for it yet.

Thanks,

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Thanks TAWP. That gives me a little more confidence in the IR sensor. Now I just have to figure out the best way to set it up on my old girl. (Spin the wife? Chin Glad she never reads my posts. Sweat) Big Grin

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Ron,

Yes I think you can have complete confidence in the IR sensor. Others are available though if your installation requires it.

If I may make a suggestion... I would recommend that you fabricate the sensor mount, then wire up the MachTach to test. Once you see everything working I'm sure you'll become motivated to fab up a nice enclosure for it. When you do, please post some photos. You know how we all love to see photos!

Guy

(06-19-2012, 02:01 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote: Thanks TAWP. That gives me a little more confidence in the IR sensor. Now I just have to figure out the best way to set it up on my old girl. (Spin the wife? Chin Glad she never reads my posts. Sweat) Big Grin

-Ron
Thanks given by:
Guy,
A very nice lathe you have there Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Yup, they are all nise but, I will still take my 9X20. I havent come up against anything it can't do yet. It has done everything expected of it so far.

"Billy G" Thumbsup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: