Part for the Cinci
I was going to show you a face plate I cast for my 12" Atlas, I turned a cast iron collar and threaded it. Pretty sure that it was Mr. Bill Carriel that suggested that to me, it had to be! I used his Grizzly face plate for a pattern. That was 19 years ago! easy to remember my boy is 20 yrs old. Of course I can not find a pic of it????
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
(07-25-2013, 06:26 PM)dallen Wrote: there's not really much more that can be done with this, plus I'm not really happy with it so I'm going to make a new pattern and start over from scratch with one that will cover over the ratchet gear and keep chips and crud out.

DA

DA, could you not just make up some shields that could be held on with machine screws? Or would that eliminate the fun of making a new pattern and pouring another casting? Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Goaly, I've casted backing plates before I usually do them in aluminum first for my own reason's one is that if they don't pour like I need or have big shrinkage spots I haven't wasted as much fuel. the 6' ones I ended up reding them in cast iron. the 10' on I never got around to pouring it in cast iron because the guy it was for never showed up to help time you figure in the sprue and runners thats a lot of iron, if I had a swing arm like yours I would do it single handed.

I like the idea of casting the collar in the plate. Here's a shot of a part that I intentionally casted a piece of iron into the aluminum.
[Image: 002.jpg]
had to drill a hole in the side that is laying on the recliner to drive the keystock out due to it having a place where someone had ran a drill bit point into it.

Steve, yes I could make a shield hadn't even gave one a thought, but like you said where's the fun in that besides I have plenty of time to do it in, even with putting in the bushing that I did yesterday to stop all the wear points I would still have to put in a second bushing

What I really need is a picture that will show me what the part actually looks like, I found one a couple days ago that was better then the one I posted above but was still pretty hard to see the part.

what with the rain today maybe I can get something drawed up to show what I'm thinking.
DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
finally got around and did something today rained most of the morning. any way do some work on the cad with the ratchet part I have been working on. I did get around and start on the missing handle for the Hi Lo shifter, of I guess its more correctly named the backgear. Anyway its missing the handle, I had made a new shaft not to long after I got the shaper which was about all that I did do to it.

anyway the handle that is suppose to be on it won't win any beauty contest and neither will my pattern but I got along with it pretty good today.

here's the photo
[Image: hi-lo-shifter-handle.jpg]
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: