Part for the Cinci
sounds like a good thread to start if you know how to get cheap buys, and I always need to know how to pay less.

I'll keep you in mind your not that far from OKC, and who knows I know some people that work up there in the Ft Belle area, put in an Ashpalt plant up there on the Missouri River at the old Quarry.

I thought I had and in for some Coke down here but like the creeks here in Oklahoma in the summer time the source dried up. A cupola would be fun to fire up but I just don't do that much casting at any one time.

I'm working on a new pattern to replace the part that I made for the shaper which will be a lot smaller and I plan to pour it with Cast Iron. I'll post a photo of it a little later today after I get it into a recognizable shape.

here's a picture of one of the thinnest casting that I tried to do, the one in the photo came out almost full but did have a couple of defects, I stopped trying to pour it after someone sent me a blade to replace the one I used as a pattern.

[Image: 182.jpg]

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
here's a couple of pictures of the new ratchet that I am wanting to pour out of cast iron which will make it a lot smaller then the first one that I did Saturday out of aluminum

Thanks given by:
here's the pattern I started on yesterday, got some paint on it yesterday evening so I'm going to try and see how it molds up this morning who know's may even get to fire up the furnace and melt some metal.

Thanks given by:
David,

Do you need to use a special paint for that?

Ed
Thanks given by:
cheapest I can find usually works for me, but if I'm doing it by brush I usually make up some shellac and use that as its pretty cheap when you buy the flake and desolve it in Alcohol, plus I like the color of shellac.

Thanks given by: EdK
Give it the old college try! smooth and a good "thin" coating of parting dust!
If you are going to pour in iron, have you some plumbago? You have some one to help? I haven't pour brass cause my shoulders have gone bad. Have a swing arm an electric lift, made a crucible tong holder. Should be able to handle a #16 crucible rather nicely. nothing like lifting a 2000+ degree crucible!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
been working on the pattern and think that if the paint will dry I'll try to mold it again in the morning.

Goldy I have both regular parting dust and plumbago or as the farmers say graphite. problem I've had with graphite is that with cast iron it causes rough castings, but it does help on patterns that have little or almost no draft on them.

I have a brand new A20 silicon carbide crucible that I hope to one day melt full of cast iron.

And A16 full of brass your gonna need that swing warm for sure, I have a telephone pole in my back yard that I hope to hang a swing arm off of one of these days

anyway heres a link to a little video I did today cutting the top off of some railroad rail.

[Image: th_20080101040711.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Are you applying it with alcohol then burning the alcohol off? wonder if there are different grades of graphite? like sandpaper?

Here is a pic of the lift tongs, jig and hoist old thin crucible full of small lead ingots for a test

tongs are from a friend who we trade with, hoist was a trade, it didn't work but was just a broken wire. the jig was shaped on the anvil, heated by a coal forge fire. I have less than 50$ in it. the swing arm is some fence posts, but I have to drill a hole in the foundation, seems where I want it is where they spilled or poured the extra concrete from the foundation, never fails! always something to slow a guy down!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thats sure cutting nice. I was told the surface of track becomes badly work hardened, but you seam to be cutting it fine.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Goalythats a nice looking set of lift out tongs.

F350 I did one other piece but did it in my mill with a 1.250 indexable cutter and other then being limited to about .015 depth of cut it cut find, I just need to get the bit figured out so I can get a decent surface on this even though its going to be beat on with a hammer. but yes it cuts pretty nice, I know I don't want one of them chips going down my shirt collar.

anyway heres the new pattern I'm going to try and pour tomorrow hopefully in cast iron just have to see what tomorrow brings

DA

Thanks given by: