Part for the Cinci
I know how everyone likes pictures so heres a couple more to add to the list

first on is after I just opened the mold top part of the pattern pulled out find, some minor tearing of the sand but nothing that won't clean up with a file.

[Image: new-ratchet-pattern0003.jpg]

second is of the other side pulled out could use a little more draft but not worth the time for what maybe two pours.

[Image: new-ratchet-pattern0004.jpg]

third is of the mold closed up and waiting for hot metal, if it cools down and the humidity drops some, got about an inch of rain last night.

[Image: new-ratchet-pattern0005.jpg]

am looking at doing this first pour in aluminum to see if there is any wash outs when the molten metal runs into the cavity, I usually don't gate in the top but have been doing it that way the last couple of pours I have done and like the results, plus I have been putting in runners so that any trash in the pouring basin or runners gets pushed into a corner instead of into the mold cavity which helps with cleaner castings.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
decided to go ahead and make the pour, so here's some more pics

first is looking down in to a pot full of molten aluminum about 5 pounds of the stuff.
[Image: new-ratchet-pattern0006.jpg]

next up is the shake out, nice looking part if I do say so, a little flash around the seam line but nothing that a file won't handle, them two wire looking things is where the molten aluminum ran up the two holes I poked in the mold with a piece of 062 tig rod for vents.
[Image: new-ratchet-pattern0009.jpg]

and a sort of close up of the part with the gating cut off.
[Image: new-ratchet-pattern00010.jpg]

and the shop monster he likes his photo take also
[Image: new-ratchet-pattern00011.jpg]

DA

Thanks given by:
It looks like your assistant approves of the results.

Ed
Thanks given by:
he did approve but was kinda upset that I didn't go ahead and do it in Cast Iron. but I have this weird feeling that making one in Cast Iron isn't vary to far into the future.

I'm about half way done with the machine work on this one so maybe tomorrow sometime I'll have something that shows it working on the shaper, have to see what happens between now and tomorrow.

DA

Thanks given by:
looking good Dave. Even the torx screws came out pretty well. I can see some poor sod trying to undo one of those if you ever sold the shaper.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice job on the casting dallen.

I was noticing your flask. Is it cast in pieces and welded together? I have a snap flask that my uncle gave me and if I every get a foundry set up, restoring it will be first on my list. The wood is shot on it but the iron work is all good.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
yes that one was welded together because I got tired of messing with it, the other two I made are bolted plus I have a three or four smaller ones that were cast in one piece. I started out with wood flask, my intentions when I started the aluminum flask project was to make two or three different size panels so that the would all fit together to form different size flask but like a lot of things it got pushed to the back burner.

truth be told its probably just as easy to cast up some alignment pieces and just throw together what you need when you need it from some cheap 1X4 or whatever is needed when you need it.

Mayhem the texture of the sand and the temperature of the molten metal is what gives that kind of detail.

After taking the first part off the shaper this morning I have figured out a little more on how the original worked "I THINK" don't quote me on that. But it looks like there is suppose to be a skirt on the ratchet that runs out over the ratchet gear, the way I have it, it is rubbing basically on one side of the shaft hole. Wish that guy if Fairbanks would send me a nice clear photo of his it would make this a lot easier.

Anyway I throwed yesterdays casting in the lathe and have it about half way machined out, I'm thinking if I throw a cast iron or bronze bushing in it that it will wear better.

[Image: new-ratchet-pattern00012.jpg]

Thanks given by:
while working on the latest part for the ratchet, I got to thinking (I know I'm not suppose to but) so I went back and looked at the mud covered photo of the same shaper that I have and I believe I'm making this part wrong.

here's the part that I have just about finished (only like a couple small parts for the pawl) in its place on the shaper along with all the other parts that I have that fit there.
[Image: new-ratchet-pattern00014.jpg]

I'm thinking that there is suppose to be a skirt that covers the part that is over the ratchet gear.

heres the photo that I'm trying to decypher to make this part.

[Image: Homestead13154Medium.jpg]

guess its back to the wood bench and make another pattern.

DA

Thanks given by:
I didn't like the idea of the aluminum working back and forth so I turned out a bushing out of a hunk of window weight and installed it in the new ratchet. It pressed in nice and snug then I rebored the bushing to fit the shaft. anyway here's the photos

[Image: new-ratchet-pattern00015.jpg]

and on the shaft

[Image: new-ratchet-pattern00016.jpg]

there's not really much more that can be done with this, plus I'm not really happy with it so I'm going to make a new pattern and start over from scratch with one that will cover over the ratchet gear and keep chips and crud out.

DA

Thanks given by:
Sign0087 Drool

Ed
Thanks given by: