How to Mill a Part That is Too Thin to Mill
Here' a little technique that I use to mill parts to a thickness that is too thin for traditional methods. It works great for the occasional shim, spacer or flat spring.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Nice video Tom. That climb milling scares the hell out of me though. I don't think I'd want to try that with my bench mill. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom,
You need a buddy with a sheet metal shop! small stuff like that is generally in the scrap bin!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Don't be afraid Ed, just snug the table locks down and your underwear will live to see another day. Rotfl

OG, what do you do if you need a shim that's .022 or .038" thick? you won't find that in anyone's scrap bin.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(07-21-2013, 06:45 PM)TomG Wrote: Don't be afraid Ed, just snug the table locks down and your underwear will live to see another day. Rotfl

Tom

Rotfl

Did you hand feed or use the power feed? I don't have power feed, yet.

Ed
Thanks given by:
It was hand fed Ed, just because the cut was so short.

Tom
Thanks given by: EdK
Tom,
long time ago I got a variety of shim stock from enco, back when it was American made, plus from a swap met there are a few rolls of brass shim stock. In aluminum I have is 3003 .063, .050, .040, there may be a pc of .030 left. something in between? how about galvaneal (no longer galvanized) .060 to .015 16 to 28 gauge. Guess I'm just a scrounger!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
You are missing the point of the whole exercise. What if I needed a piece of unobtanium, .019" thick? It wouldn't be available anywhere so I would have to make it and this is how I would make it. I scrounge as well, but scrounging isn't always an option.

Tom
Thanks given by:
I'm going to give that a shot Tom. You and Ken are pushing me beyond my comfort zone and I thank you both for that. I guess it's time to grow some balls. Jawdrop

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom, excellent video thats one to keep in the old memory box !

Mike
tekfab, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2013.
Thanks given by: