Making A Spring
I tried a 3/16" mandrel and I got a .230" ID so it's closer. It looks like a mandrel between .1875 and .210 would result in a spring that's close enough.

What I noticed while winding these springs is that the tool could use some form of drag control. Otherwise the ending coils end up a bit larger in diameter than the starting coils. I can see a Mark II tool in the future. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
Quote:What I noticed while winding these springs is that the tool could use some form of drag control. Otherwise the ending coils end up a bit larger in diameter than the starting coils. I can see a Mark II tool in the future. Chin

Thumbsup Glad you mentioned that, I've been thinking that would be good to have? Also the guide I'm going to try is going to be much shorter, working with heavier wire from a roll, got to remember to go with the roll 17428
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Ed,
What type of wire are you using?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 11:53 AM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
What type of wire are you using?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

It's music wire, .033" diameter.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9666K57

I think part of the problem is the small spring ID required using that diameter of the wire.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed, I just wondered Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I see that there are a few people interested in just a few springs or even one from time to time, I use http://www.compressionsprings.com. There is a free design program, and a searchable catalog for all kinds of torsion, extension, compression and specialty springs available there on line. I am interested in any information regarding spring making lathes, and that's how I found this site. Thanks!
allrite, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the link allrite and be sure to check out this thread about making springs.

Making Springs On The Lathe

And Welcome to the forum.

Ed
Thanks given by:
That's a great spring calculator. I added it to the links page on my website.

Welcome aboard by the way. Be sure to stop by the intro thread and tell us about yourself and your projects.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Great link, Thanks
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I am currently working on a parts singulator and escapement mechanism. I use air cylinders to shuttle components for assembly, and work with bowl builders to line up parts for feeding. Getting the right orientation is still a black art, and I see a large variety of skill level in the field. We just finished a hydraulic spinning mechanism, I can get some pics of that if anyone is interested. I am really happy to have found this site, and have spent hours reading...so much time looking at other folks ideas and thoughts....I finally found a good use for the internet. And yes, spring making looks like a black art too, especially if you need to feed and assemble them. Back to reading....have a great day.
allrite, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by: