New part for the Cinci lead screw support
As you can tell by looking a the photo the part is broken, I thought about welding in a chunk of CI but what's the fun in that besides it would probably pop out with my luck. So it's time to make a new part, or anyway at least try all it takes is time and I got lots of that.

So here's the start of the pattern I'm at the point as soon as the epoxy dries I can start sanding which I hate, plus the big round end is going to get some draft added to it with bondo so it will pull easier the rest of it will come out ok its less then and inch. and with a good slick coat of some horrid color (have to find one DB likes maybe Red) it will slide right out.

Anyway here's the required photo
[Image: support00001.jpg]

[Image: support00002.jpg]

added some bondo to the pattern

[Image: support00003.jpg]
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
have the pattern to the point that I think I can mold it up and make a part, will have to see in the morning, lost most of the afternoon today due to having to go to the VA for an appointment with the Cardio people they said I was still breathing.

photo
[Image: support00006.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Wow, looks like a piece of 'modern art' Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
more like junk now with all the problems I been having trying to get it out of the sand, like John did I'm about ready to just make a new pattern.

DA

Thanks given by:
(08-03-2013, 03:37 PM)dallen Wrote: more like junk now with all the problems I been having trying to get it out of the sand, like John did I'm about ready to just make a new pattern.

DA

The most important word in casting is DRAUGHT
YikesYikesYikesYikesYikesYikes
John
Thanks given by:
kinda hard to put a lot of draft on a 1/2 inch thick part, anyway i was finally able to pour it so heres the pictures both the good side and the bad.

good side

[Image: support00007.jpg]

bad side I need a bigger riser to stop the shrinking,
[Image: support00008.jpg]

Thanks given by:
started removing everything that doesn't look like a support today to see if this would work, well it won't. The big end that gets like a 2.5 inch hole in it is way to high. other things look pretty good but I sure missed the center line on that one.

Oh well now I get to make a new pattern, so I can trash the first one I made which is in a state of disaster.

the aluminum did cut nice, wasn't gummy like some casting can be, of course I also throwed in half of a Tweco Mig gun nozzle which are made from some pretty heavy copper to help with the melt. This pot consisted of all the sprues and gating from the last melt along with a couple of ingots that I made at some time or another, plus another hunk of extruded window frame (one of these days I'm gonna have that thing all melted). I never really measure the amount I put in but if I get to much it will make the aluminum to hard to machine.

[Image: support00009.jpg]

Now which neighbor has a table saw I can useBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Thanks given by:
got started on a new pattern for this part today, sorry no pictures yet but I'm sure some will show up. had to get a piece of maple at the lumber yard as what I had wasn't big enough to cut everything out of. then thanks to the neighbor letting me use his table saw did most of the saw work so hopefully tomorrow I may get to start putting some paint on it.

Thanks given by:
Have you ever tried lost foam casting? I've only done one and it wasn't as thin as this part, but it has its advantages. Don't even need draft (draught).

I had to make a new exhaust system for a 1965 CT200 Trail 90. These are the ends for the muffler.

Pretty easy to fill the form when it's shaped like a funnel.

Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
yep tried it didn't like it, I have enough problems cutting wood I don't need the added aggravation of trying to carve foam. besides the burning foam stinks.

but like they say different casting methods for different people.

DA

Thanks given by: