New part for the Cinci lead screw support
How much oil and petrobond do you add to new silica sand to make an initial batch?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(08-18-2013, 09:25 AM)Mayhem Wrote: How much oil and petrobond do you add to new silica sand to make an initial batch?

hundred pounds of sand, about 6 to 8 pounds of petrobond powder, and oil is about a pint if that much. then the Catalyst if your using petrobond I if using petrobond II it isn't suppose to need a catalyst but you know how that goes.

if its close and you can buy ready made thats you best bet, if you have a muller to handle it with cause your not going to remix it by hand like you can greensand. optimum time in the muller for good working sand is ten to twelve minutes. for mixing new sand it takes around 20 to 30 minutes to get it all blended and mixed.

David
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Ok been busy and not sitting on my duff on the lawnmower seat. got the pattern in shape and ready to pour tomorrow, if we don't get rained on again, I'd sure like to know who PO'd Mother Nature, but one good thing is the weather has been beautiful the last couple of weeks some hot days but basically nice.

OK enough of that pictures is that this is about so here we are

first up is the start of the pattern rebuild. One Maple board about 6 feet long now I cut off about 14 inches of it for this pattern.
[Image: LSpattern300001.jpg]

second the start of the pattern this is the leg that bolts to the shaper
[Image: LS-pattern-300002.jpg]

third is the head end where it fits over the leadscrew there are a couple more pieces that glue onto this and a bunch of time in the milling machine
[Image: LS-pattern-300003.jpg]

fourth is all glued up with wood filler its about 11 PM at this time, waiting on glue to dry takes time.
[Image: LS-pattern-300004.jpg]

fifth is the pattern hanging in the Redneck Paint Booth getting the first of several coats of RED
[Image: LS-pattern-300005.jpg]

sixth is after several more coats of RED
[Image: LS-pattern-300006.jpg]

Guardian of the Smoker and he takes his job seriously
[Image: shop-monster00005.jpg]

what the guardian is watching, LUNCH
[Image: LS-pattern-300007.jpg]

I had planed on some photos of the neighbors shop but he said cameras were not allowed that the photos might get back to his wife and he would have to take down the calendars he's collected.
David

Thanks given by:
I poured the pattern this morning and here is the results, had a couple glitches but nothing that can be fixed,

[Image: LS-pattern-300008.jpg]

[Image: LS-pattern-300009.jpg]

Thanks given by:
That looks like a pretty decent casting David.

Ed
Thanks given by:
except that I screwed it up by drilling one of the two bolt holes out of position so heres shots of the second try.

the melt as its called
[Image: second-try00001.jpg]

the I don't know what side
[Image: second-try00003.jpg]

the other side
[Image: second-try00002.jpg]

this part is starting to get to me three patterns and this makes like the fourth casting on this part. but I am finally starting to get some decent surface finish on them.

Thanks given by:
started cutting all the extra weigh off of the second one just have to see how far I get before something smacks me on the forehead and say's you just screwed up again.

anyway heres where I am at for the night
the start of the machine work on this one was to deck the outside face so I can flip it over and clamp it down thru the hole to do the end that mounts to the table slide
[Image: second-try00004.jpg]

Second operation for tonight was to bore out the hole where the leadscrew passes thru the part that is sitting in the bore goes in from the otherside.
[Image: second-try00005.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Nice work Dave. Don't think of each recast as a failure, think of it a increasing the purity of the cast Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
thoughts like that would be nice Mayhem if it would get rid of the porosity in the metal, but with all the humidity we have at the moment thats kinda hard. But I think I'm gonna stop playing with this part for now and work on a crank handle as they were cast also.

but for now here's a couple more shots of the casting in the mill.
this one I'm fly cutting off the pad that bolts to the table slide.
[Image: second-try00007.jpg]
this one I was facing off the side that the ( don't know what its called but its used to put the table feed into neutral), I finished this in the lathe as I had to remove it from the mill to check length on the shaper.
[Image: second-try00006.jpg]
and finally on the shaper, its like my old daddy use to say just a little bit off but not sure where. actually I think its in the mounting pad plus one of the bolts I think had been stripped and gunk stuck in it cause I felt something let go on one of them.
[Image: second-try00008.jpg]

Thanks given by: