How to Build a Stack of Gauge Blocks
It got a little more involved than I thought, but here's my take on gauge blocks. There's a bit on what they are and how they are used in the shop, followed by a demonstration on how to wring them into a stack of the desired height.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: paulmo101 , arvidj , DaveH
Hi Tom

Great video - I`ve never used gauge blocks and didnt realize there correct use. Video has given me a great insight.

Thanks

Paul

(07-31-2013, 11:45 PM)TomG Wrote: It got a little more involved than I thought, but here's my take on gauge blocks. There's a bit on what they are and how they are used in the shop, followed by a demonstration on how to wring them into a stack of the desired height.

Tom

paulmo101, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Paul, it's good to hear that you benefited from the video.

Welcome aboard by the way, be sure to jump on the introduction thread and let us know a bit about yourself. As I'm sure you'll find out, we love pics!

Tom
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom , another top class video Big Grin, and 10/10 for the speed in responding to my request Worthy
I knew some of the things you mentioned but not others so have learnt a lot , thanks again for posting the videos.

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Mick,

Most of these video ideas are just bouncing around in my head and all it takes is a suggestion to get me out of ADD mode long enough to crank one out. Glad you enjoyed it.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Nice video Tom! I especially liked the second example. It's obvious you were a teacher at one time and you must have been a good one based on your excellent videos. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed.

I do miss teaching. Making these videos is challenging and fun, but I don't get to see the look on the face of a student when they finally master a technique or solve a difficult problem.

Tom
Thanks given by:
You mean this look???

a couple of summers ago I left the key in the chuck,turned the lathe on just enough for it to make a 1/2 turn and the key to fall out... I ducked, plugged my ears..... I know "oldman Geyerman" in heaven or hell was yelling "Thorne you dumbass......mumble grumble" hehehehe
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks, Tom. I just got my set a few weeks ago, so the timing is perfect. I wasn't having any particular trouble in selecting blocks, but you've laid out a simple, deliberate method.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Another great video, Tom. I'd heard about wringing blocks together but never saw it demonstrated. I had even heard about the molecular bond if left together too long.
I also was a technical instructor in the USAF for about 10 years. Best part of my career. Loved seeing that 'light' come on...

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by: