Craiglist find
Thanks Tom.

Funny thing about the thread measuring wires. I picked up what I believed to be a very nice set in a stitched leather-like case, made by Flynn Machine of Michigan. I had dropped two of the smaller wires when I was showing the set to my dad, and couldn't find them. You know how that happens when you drop something, see it hit the floor and it just evaporates before your eyes.

So I found contact info on the internet for Flynn, discovering that they're main product is boring heads for milling machines. I talked to their "customer pissing off" department, and was told that the replacements would be $1.50 each, plus postage. Where I got into an argument was that on their website it stated that tolerances for the wires were " 'plus or minus .001' ". I asked if they were aware of a typo on their website because at a .002" range that would be well beyond tolerances for a class 3 thread tolerance.

Imagine if you had three .012" wires and one was .013", one was .012" and one was .011". With the compounding of the different diameters, there's no way to get an accurate measurement. The company selling "Pee Dee" thread wires, by contrast, states theirs at half the price to be +/-.0001". Flynn told me theirs are good and I'm wrong in thinking they needed to be better than that. This is probably why their site also states "This product also makes a GREAT addition for the home hobbyist". Their wires are certainly unacceptable for "real work", and I told them so.

They still sent the wires, or so they said. I called two weeks later to ask where they were, and was told "we shipped them out as promised". I agreed to wait one more week, and on the 7th day a white envelope arrived, inside a US Postal Service "damaged mail" cardboard envelope. Flynn had simply tossed wires into a plain #10 business envelope and they punched holes in it and fouled the sorting machine. Gone.

I sent them a photo of the package I received and they resent, but also refunded my money. By the time I got the replacements of the replacements, I had found the dropped ones under the surface grinder. To this day I have never used those thread wires, and never will.

http://www.flynnmachine.com/thread_wires.htm
http://www.fishermachine.com/index.php?c...cart&id=24

Fisher Machine (sold direct and through many distributors) doesn't state there what the tolerance of size is for theirs, but did tell me +/-.0001" when I called to ask.
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
Craiglist find - by PixMan - 08-03-2013, 09:54 PM
RE: Craiglist find - by TomG - 08-03-2013, 10:14 PM
RE: Craiglist find - by PixMan - 08-03-2013, 11:04 PM
RE: Craiglist find - by Mayhem - 08-04-2013, 07:34 AM
RE: Craiglist find - by EdK - 08-04-2013, 09:05 AM
RE: Craiglist find - by TomG - 08-04-2013, 09:30 AM
RE: Craiglist find - by PixMan - 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM
RE: Craiglist find - by oldgoaly - 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: Craiglist find - by TomG - 08-04-2013, 11:51 AM
RE: Craiglist find - by DaveH - 08-04-2013, 03:44 PM