10.5" Douglas Shaper
Thanks guys. There was no vise with it but I'll keep my eyes out for one. I have a couple of drill press vises, so I'll just use one of those whilst I learn how to use it. In the first picture, you can see a large home made angle plate to which the previous owners fastened pulleys to put key slots in them. There were several boring bars included but no other tool holders.

Dave J - could you send me some pictures of the ratchet mechanism on yours please? I'd like to check them against mine.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
here is a shot of an original Cincinnati Vise,
[Image: cinci-vise.jpg]
these things were massive to absorb the force of the ram hitting the part that they were holding.

The ratchet on mine is something that I have devised its close to the original but no cigar.

The ratchet on yours should come apart by removing the knurled knob then there should be some sort of threaded insert that holds the pawl and spring in the housing, looking at the picture of your ratchet it looks like you remove the pin in the knob and it drops out the bottom, there should be either a set screw or a pin in the gear on the shaft which should have to be removed for the ratchet housing to slide off.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I'm hoping Dave's pictures might give me an idea as to why the ratchet isn't ratcheting. At the moment, when I engage the pin, the gear turns and the table moves on the forward stroke and on the back stroke. Judging by the shape of the pin, it looks like the pin should disengage and ride over the teeth.
Thanks given by:
sounds like the pin is worn and catching in both directions.

should look something like this, this is what I made and put in the one I made for the Cinci but the one on my delta works on the same principle
[Image: 2013-08-06090417.jpg]

you will probably have to dismantle it to find whats actually wrong but sounds like the table travel was set to netrual and it has worn so that it will not pull back over the teeth.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Referring to the picture of the ratchet, the casting to the table side of the 'gear' should move freely over the shaft. It looks like it may be stuck to the shaft. A bunch of oil and some gentle persuasion may help.

Loosen the arm that carries the motion to the ratchet mechanism before you try to free the casting up. no point in putting a bend in it that will cause trouble later.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Hi Darren,
Here are the pictures. There is a screw in the knob to take it off the shaft and the rest comes out the bottom.

The other picture is the origonal Douglas vise, I had to buy the shaper with it for $300 to get it as they are rare to get on there own.

I am half way through converting the other Douglas to a under drive so the motor is no sticking out the back, not sure what will happen to the other one.

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by: Mayhem , flyingsecret
With my first shaper I got spare parts because a guy had used the rest of it to make some other machine out of it for a company.
I got a spare rarchet amongst the parts so I am going to put it on the table rise and fall on the one with the under drive.

How much did you get that one for? I bought my first with spares for $350 local and the second for $300 about 200K's away. I have seen them fetch $1000 and over on ebay.
Both of mine are the clutch ball bearing models, but the spares where off a non clutch plain bearing model.

A lot of people put a wheel on the shaft for exactly what you said, others put a wheel on the large pulley for the same reason.
Those rollers on the front of the table are add on's and not origonal.

Dave
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the pics Dave. I'll have to check the pin but from memory, the tip looks more like the one dallen posted. My plan on the weekend is to clean that area up and see if I can see what is going wrong. If I understand correctly, the push rod length adjustment is used to ensure that the pin is sitting straight up, as opposed to an angle?

It was advertised at $500. I offered him $400 and he took it. On the drive home I was kicking myself for not making a lower offer Slaphead Then I thought about it and given that they sell for a lot more (I missed out on exactly the same shaper, which sold for $700 the previous week), I had pretty much committed myself to buying it given the drive. All in all, I'm happy.
Thanks given by:
No problem,
Yes the push rod is to adjust it when you raise or lower the table etc.
You adjust the T slot end on the main shaft to get more or less feed, I think 3 teeth per stroke is what the max is.
The pin has no spring and is just gravity fed, you lift it up and turn it a quarter of a turn for netral.

Dave
Well I had a productive day and managed to clean up and get the ratchet feed working. I also posted on Mad Modder and the suggestion there was to ensure that there was no backlash on the leadscrew. Once I sorted this out the ratchet worked. In hind sight it seems so obvious Slaphead

I also made a quick and dirty tool holder and used a broken HSS tap for a cutting tool. I bolted my drill press vise on and threw part of an old aluminium heating block from a smoke machine in. This is pretty gummy aluminium but it sure was nice to see it cutting chips Big Grin

The ratchet and drive linkage

There were four boring bars that came with the shaper but no other tool holders, so here is the one I made from scrap (bottom right)

I even threw together a video!

Thanks given by: