10.5" Douglas Shaper
Cool Darren, nice to see it makin' chips.Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
this should help you out for a tool holder

.pdf   DocSackLeonardoShaperToolholder2.pdf (Size: 203.24 KB / Downloads: 7)
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Dallen, I have one similar to that design, came with the shaper, they work well, but I find an Atlas style lathe tool holder with the rake built in works better, saves grinding the rake into the cutter.
Not a great photo but gets the point across
[Image: IMG_0131.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I've got and old lantern tool post bit holder for my 7 inch shaper also, but unless I can find one that will hold a 3/8 bit for like 20 bucks I probably won't have one for the 16.

regular bit holders do work, but they also made tool holders that are designed for shapers. the two designs that I posted are just copies that someone made.

wish that my shapers had of came with a box of tools but sadly they didn't, but the 16 inch one did come with a bunch of broken missing parts so I guess you could say that made up for the missing toolsSlapheadSlapheadSlaphead.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the info. I have a couple of Armstrong tool holders but they are much too big for this shaper.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
My Lewis has a 1/2" wide lantern slot. I use 1/2" x 1/2" HSS tool blanks ground to the desired shapes. Nice and rigid.

Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Mayhem I had to mill the ones Im using down to fit mine.
Greg
Thanks given by:
My mill is still out of order Greg - I'm waiting on parts from Kondia in Spain. However, I have just rebuilt the motor and about to put the spindle pulley, brake, hi/low selector etc back together but that is another post...

DaveJ - any chance you could post some pictures of the motor mount on yours? There appears to be no belt tensioner on mine for the drive and the whole assembly bounces around a bit.
Thanks given by:
Mayhem, you now have options, use the shaper.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I'll have to see if the cheap vise and my home made holder are up to the task. Both height and width are an issue. Or, I could throw them into my suitcase next month and see if Ken would be kind enough to show me the short work his new mill would make of them...
Thanks given by: