Casting partner/mentor needed
Anyone casting Aluminum within a 1 or 2 hour drive of Kingsport, TN? I would be willing to provide pigged aluminum and patterns for someone to help me cast parts.
I have a complete set of Gingery Shaper patterns (already have a Gingery Shaper). I want to make a dividing head, and a steady rest for my mini lathe.
I have melted aluminum before, and assisted in casting a few parts. There is no one close to me that casts metal. My former partner/mentor moved to Texas. I do not have safety equipment, furnace or crucible, and would not be comfortable casting on my own yet.
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
let me ask guy I know that just moved to I think Tenn. not sure where to thou
if I wasn't so far away I would help you out.
DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2013, 10:48 AM)dallen Wrote: let me ask guy I know that just moved to I think Tenn. not sure where to thou
if I wasn't so far away I would help you out.
DA

Thanks, DA. Much appreciated. I have family in upstate NY and may expand my search there also.
If I winn the lottery, I'll take you up on the offer and visit!
Chuck
Thanks given by:
I'm about 4 hours from Nashville, Kingsport on the east side of the state??? Jerry Gulley is from there. A weekend of casting is fun and a lot of work! How big is the biggest part? I use a 12 lb ladle to pour aluminum.Some pics of my "hot shop" here http://s228.photobucket.com/user/oldgoal...t=3&page=1 some pics of a metalmelt I had a few years ago, https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...156&type=3 I didn't take many this year I was too busy, not much help!!! It takes some work to recycle the sand, mostly shovel work, but it isn't that hard!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Kingsport is in the upper East corner of TN, I'm about 20 mi. south of Kingsport off I81.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
looks like this thread may of sorted itself out.

Thanks given by:
DA, Who is your friend that moved to TN?
4 hours one way is too far for a casting party for me.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
guy's name Jerry, he hangs out on the AA forum, I don't know where he moved to I just know he moved to TN you may ask around over on the Alloy
Avenue forum see if there's anyone close to you.

I know there are several people in TN on that forum but not sure of who all of them are.

I don't remember how many parts there are to that dividing head but if you want you can send me the patterns and I'll cast em for you if you can't find someone there.

DA

Thanks given by:
Thanks, DA. I may take you up on the offer. I'll check out the AA forum, haven't been there for a while.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
I sent Jerry a message just have to wait to see if he responds, he knows he's pretty knowledgeable about casting I know he helped me out several times with some problems I was having.

Thanks given by: