Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco
Dave,

I believe they are a type of castellated nut.

Ed
Thanks given by:
EdAK Wrote:...I have some work to do before I dive in to the project, like clean off the work bench and find all the tools I'll need.

The common denominator in all delayed project starts!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Ed,

Just wondering where was it leaking?

I hope it wasn't leaking from the drain plug Slaphead Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice post Ed looks rather straight forward inside.Smiley-signs107

Ya know I should probably do that to mine not because I'm aware of a problem, but because I would probably find lot's of ways to tighten it up.Chin

But with so much else going on in the way of projects it would get sidelined for who knows how long and there I'ed sit with no machine at all.Slaphead

Jerry.Popcorn

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 07:17 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
Yep just one, do you know what that kind of 'nut' is called?

Dave

Dave, sometimes it's too obvious. Big Grin

Name that nut!

Ed, looking good so far. You have our attention! Worthy
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yep - that is a bearing lock nut.

A slotted hex nut has slots cut into each face to permit a split pin to lock the nut to prevent movement. A castle nut is similar but the area where the slots are is turned to a smaller diameter. This generally provides better thread engagement of the nut and also allows the eye of the split pin to sit closer to the shaft.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 07:31 PM)stevec Wrote: Thanks Ed, pics are much clearer, Mixed emotions when you tear something down and it looks pretty good, eh?

Steve,

The ball bearings don't seem too bad and I haven't found anything that would indicate a problem that would be causing the leaking. But I just got it dis-assembled and haven't tackled removal and inspection of the seals and bearings yet. That should start today.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 09:07 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,

Just wondering where was it leaking?

I hope it wasn't leaking from the drain plug Slaphead Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

It was leaking at the bottom of the quill around the spindle nose. Also somewhere else because oil would accumulate on the bottom edges of the mill head. And yes, the first thing I checked was the drain plug. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
I need to remove this bearing from the shaft and am wondering what's the best way to go about this? A bearing separator like shown in the picture or some other way? I don't have one of those bearing separators but might be able to locate one at the farm store about 20 miles away.

Ed

.jpg   separator.JPG (Size: 32.07 KB / Downloads: 133)
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2012, 10:32 AM)EdAK Wrote: I need to remove this bearing from the shaft and am wondering what's the best way to go about this? A bearing separator like shown in the picture or some other way? I don't have one of those bearing separators but might be able to locate one at the farm store about 20 miles away.

Ed
Ed,
I've always had good luck with that type of puller.

Jerry.Popcorn

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: