Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco
The problem is there is only a little over 1/16" between the bearing and the gear. I don't know if that type of bearing separator would work with that small of a gap.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ed,

You may need to use one like this.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ed, of course you know that the advantage of using the bearing separator is to pull on the inner race as opposed to pulling on the outer. The other thing is to tighten the separator so that the sharp inner edges will wedge in between the inner race and the shoulder it buts against to start the separation.
But down in the recess of that gear you may not get in there with a store bought separator and to drive forty miles just to find out it won't fitSlaphead.
A solution might be to make one that you know will fit using socket head capscrews etc.
But, and this is the last but, maybe the price of a new bearing would justify pulling it off the "wrong" way and turfing it would be best. Chin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Ed,

I agree with Steve, if you use the bearing puller I have shown, then the bearing really shoudn't be used again.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2012, 10:45 AM)EdAK Wrote: The problem is there is only a little over 1/16" between the bearing and the gear. I don't know if that type of bearing separator would work with that small of a gap.

Ed

Ed,

I have this one ... http://www.harborfreight.com/large-beari...-3979.html ... and must measured the leading edge of the leading edge. It was .088 and got bigger rather rather quickly.

I have to assume that the set you were looking at is similar to this ... http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-sep...93980.html ... and that would suggest that the smaller separator will actually fit.

But no matter what it will be pulling on the outer race of the bearing which is not a good thing if you intent to reuse the bearing. But I think you intend to replace all if them replace them so that is not an issue.

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2012, 11:04 AM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,

You may need to use one like this.

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Dave,

That ain't going to work with a gap of only .078" of room to get those fingers in between the bearing and gear. I used one like that to pull one of the bearings off but there was plenty of room with that one.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2012, 11:13 AM)arvidj Wrote:
(03-17-2012, 10:45 AM)EdAK Wrote: The problem is there is only a little over 1/16" between the bearing and the gear. I don't know if that type of bearing separator would work with that small of a gap.

Ed

Ed,

I have this one ... http://www.harborfreight.com/large-beari...-3979.html ... and must measured the leading edge of the leading edge. It was .088 and got bigger rather rather quickly.

I have to assume that the set you were looking at is similar to this ... http://www.harborfreight.com/bearing-sep...93980.html ... and that would suggest that the smaller separator will actually fit.

But no matter what it will be pulling on the outer race of the bearing which is not a good thing if you intent to reuse the bearing. But I think you intend to replace all if them replace them so that is not an issue.

Arvid

Arvid,

Thanks, I was hoping the smaller version of that type would have a thin enough lip to get between the bearing and gear. I am replacing all of the bearings and seals so I don't care if I destroy them during removal.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2012, 11:06 AM)stevec Wrote: A solution might be to make one that you know will fit using socket head capscrews etc.

I would but I don't have a mill to make one with. Big Grin

Quote:But, and this is the last but, maybe the price of a new bearing would justify pulling it off the "wrong" way and turfing it would be best. Chin

I don't mind destroying the bearing since it will be replaced regardless. I just need to figure out a "wrong" way that will work without damaging the gear beneath the bearing.

Ed
Thanks given by:
OK, I think I found a solution for the first bearing. I need to make a simple puller which I can do with a hack saw, file and drill press.

Then I have this other bearing that is right up against a gear with no gap at all. That one's still a head scratcher. Chin

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ed,

I think the second one you may have to pull the gear and bearing off together. I am assuming the gear is just on a keyed shaft - and is not retained in any other way.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: