Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco
Shafts are out. One bearing is out. The other one is blocked by the large spindle gear/bearing assembly. My piece of crap clip removing tool isn't up to the task of removing the clip ring the holds the large bearing in place so it went into the garbage in disgust. So I'm at a stand-still until I can get a decent clip ring removal tool. I'll stop by Sears on my way home from work tomorrow and see if they have a decent one.

At least I was able to get all of the bearing and seal numbers so I can get those on order.

Slow but steady progress.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ed,
I've forgot what was the problem? Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ed,

Where are you going to order the seals and bearings from?

Arvid
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2012, 06:33 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
I've forgot what was the problem? Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

See title of thread. Tongue

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2012, 06:47 PM)arvidj Wrote: Ed,

Where are you going to order the seals and bearings from?

Arvid

Arvid,

From multiple places. I ordered the 5 smaller bearings from McMaster since they had some precision type that were reasonably priced. I didn't want the bottom of the barrel bearings.

I'm still looking for the larger bearings and all of the seals since McMaster doesn't carry the larger bearings in anything but the lower end and they don't carry much in the line of seals. I'll probably get the larger bearings and the seals from this place. I've bought bearings from them before. Their web site is not the most user friendly but it's actually improved since the last time I ordered bearings from them.

http://www.ebatmus.com/

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got the two large spindle seals out and they were rather troublesome. The first one I beat out with a screwdriver and hammer. It took some beating but it finally came out. The second, bottom one, was the real stubborn one. Beating on it did no good at all so I ended up having to tap the screwdriver between the OD of the seal and the ID of the part it was pressed in. I just kept tapping until it wedged the screwdriver well in between the two parts than levered the screwdriver to bend the seal inward. That did the trick and only slightly scarred the part the seal presses into.
I still have to get a better snap ring pliers to remove the large snap ring in order to get the large bearing out that is pressed into the mill top. I need to make a tool to remove the bearing lock nut so I can remove the two tapered roller bearings. Then dis-assembly will be complete and I can start cleaning things up in preparation for the new bearings and seals.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ya know Ed, my kids usta do stuff like this to there cars using such excuses as, ( I think it has an oil leak! ) next thing ya know the whole car is scattered all over the shop.ChinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

This is starting to look strangely familiar.Smiley-think005

Too much fun!!!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Jerry,

Unfortunately, there is no "I think it has an oil leak!" about it. I KNOW it has an oil leaks since it's been leaking for a couple of years now. And no , this is definitely not "Too much fun!". I'd much rather be making chips then getting my hands soiled with the unknown substance the manufacturer used to lubricate this machine with. Jawdrop

Ed
Thanks given by:
HI Ed, great write-up so far!

You may find that an ER collet nut wrench fits the bearing locknut... It does on a lot of the smaller RF mills and clones, I know because I've used them for the job! Big Grin

The ER32 or ER40 wrench may just fit that nut, if so next question: How are you going to hold the shaft to get it off? The smaller mills often have a slot for a tommy bar - beware though, the slot's usually in a piece of Chinese top-quality hardened putty, so make sure the bar's a *good* fit or be prepared to do some tidying up with file and stones afterwards...

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
(03-22-2012, 06:37 PM)Hopefuldave Wrote: HI Ed, great write-up so far!

You may find that an ER collet nut wrench fits the bearing locknut... It does on a lot of the smaller RF mills and clones, I know because I've used them for the job! Big Grin

The ER32 or ER40 wrench may just fit that nut, if so next question: How are you going to hold the shaft to get it off? The smaller mills often have a slot for a tommy bar - beware though, the slot's usually in a piece of Chinese top-quality hardened putty, so make sure the bar's a *good* fit or be prepared to do some tidying up with file and stones afterwards...

Dave H. (the other one)

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately my collet chuck did not come with a wrench. I had started making a similar wrench for my 9x20 lathe some time back but got rid of the lathe so the wrench never got finished. Well it did today and I made use of it.
I tried holding it with my gloved hand and striking the wrench with a dead blow hammer but that didn't work. Then I realized I had a wrench for holding the spindle while tightening the draw-bar. It worked like a champ. Smile

Ed

Thanks given by: