Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco
Ed,

I know that wrench!!

Jerry.Popcorn

P.S. they open bottles well too!!!Big GrinBig Grin

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(03-22-2012, 08:40 PM)ETC57 Wrote: P.S. they open bottles well too!!!Big GrinBig Grin

I just may have to try that this afternoon. Smiley-eatdrink004

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got the taper roller bearings out. I was hoping to reuse the original bearings because of the cost of new P/6 bearings but it looks like I'm going to have to spring for new bearings. I'm not liking what I see in the old bearings. Smiley-signs131

Ed

Thanks given by:
Ed,
I have to say I have seen a lot worse than them.

Having said that, it is best to change them whilst it is apart Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
[quote='EdAK' pid='1558' dateline='1332516024']
I got the taper roller bearings out. I was hoping to reuse the original bearings because of the cost of new P/6 bearings but it looks like I'm going to have to spring for new bearings. I'm not liking what I see in the old bearings. Smiley-signs131

Ed

look a little rough, you will have to make sure the preload is st correctly on the new ones, I assume there is an adjustment for preload (usually always provided fo tapered rollers) tom

Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(03-23-2012, 11:35 AM)TOM REED Wrote: look a little rough, you will have to make sure the preload is st correctly on the new ones, I assume there is an adjustment for preload (usually always provided fo tapered rollers) tom

That in itself is a pain in the butt since the preload nut is on the top side of the spindle and inaccessible once the mill is back together. I'll just have to make my best guess on the preload and run it and see what happens. Worst case is I'll have to drop the spindle out a few times to adjust the preload. It's not too bad since I won't install the fine, and I use that term lightly, down-feed mechanism until I have the preload correct. The problem with that is removing and inserting the quill numerous times is going to put some wear on the new seals but hopefully not enough to cause a problem. Smiley-think005

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-23-2012, 12:30 PM)EdAK Wrote:
(03-23-2012, 11:35 AM)TOM REED Wrote: look a little rough, you will have to make sure the preload is st correctly on the new ones, I assume there is an adjustment for preload (usually always provided fo tapered rollers) tom

That in itself is a pain in the butt since the preload nut is on the top side of the spindle and inaccessible once the mill is back together. I'll just have to make my best guess on the preload and run it and see what happens. Worst case is I'll have to drop the spindle out a few times to adjust the preload. It's not too bad since I won't install the fine, and I use that term lightly, down-feed mechanism until I have the preload correct. The problem with that is removing and inserting the quill numerous times is going to put some wear on the new seals but hopefully not enough to cause a problem. Smiley-think005

Ed

Looking at the quill I have at home (ISO30) you should be able to adjust the preload before you put the assembly into the mill. You should adjust it till you feel a nice drag on the shaft then back off about 1/8 of a turn just about the same as when doing wheel bearings on your pickup. Make sure they are wel lubed when doing so. Lubriplate 104 works excellent in places like this and is not too messy, also blends with the gear lubed well. tom

Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom,

That's my plan. It should work out OK. I have some stuff from Lucas Oil called "Red "N" Tacky #2" that I used on the bearings for my 9x20 lathe when I replaced them. It was recommended for the job. That's what I'll be using on the bearings for the mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got the lower tapered roller bearing out. It looks worse than the upper bearing. Now I need to figure out how to get the race out. Any ideas?

Ed

Thanks given by:
Hi Ed,

That custom puller you made might be able to do it, if the "jaws" are turned around Smile
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: