Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco
This weekend I'm going to dis-assemble my mill head to fix the leak. Since I'll have it apart I'm going to replace all of the seals and bearings with known good quality bearings. I plan on taking plenty of pictures, not because I'm a nice guy, even though I am :shy:, but because there is a high probability that I would never get it back together without pictorial aids.
I started by pulling the drain plug last evening to let it drain all night. The dis-assembly starts this morning. Stay tuned. Popcorn

Ed

Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 09:03 AM)EdAK Wrote: I started by pulling the drain plug last evening to let it drain all night. The dis-assembly starts this morning. Stay tuned. Popcorn
Ed

So where is the pic then Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks given by:
I'm just hoping the pics to come will be a little clearer.Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Got the head dis-assembled.

Just about stripped down.

The quill return spring.

Fine feed mechanism removed from the right side of the mill.

Removing the quill by elevating the head.

Got the top off with no hernia involved. Sweat

The inside of the head.

The gears.

Looks like a tapered roller bearing at the top.

OOps! Need to make a tool to get that bottom plate off to reveal the bottom bearing.

It ended up being not as bad as I thought it would be. Separating the top from the head base was the worst but still not that bad. Taking the spring off is kind of tricky until you realize there is a screw that you need to slide the spring off of to remove it from the mill.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed,

Nicely shown
Smiley-signs107

If that bottom plate is plastic like mine, I turned it half a turn and it fell out!!!Slaphead

And those retaining nuts at the top......... could be on a left hand thread Chin

Looking good Ed.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 06:29 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,

Nicely shown
Smiley-signs107

If that bottom plate is plastic like mine, I turned it half a turn and it fell out!!!Slaphead

I think mine is steel but Ill check to be sure.

Quote:And those retaining nuts at the top......... could be on a left hand thread Chin

Looking good Ed.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Which retaining nuts are you referring to?

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 06:56 PM)EdAK Wrote: Which retaining nuts are you referring to?
Ed

Those at the top of the spindle, not sure of the correct word for them.Slaphead

Threaded disc with cut outs for the tabbed washer.
Smiley-eatdrink004
Dave

Thanks given by:
Dave,

OK, now I know what you're talking about. When you used the plural of "nut" you confused me, easily done these days, because there is only one of those nuts.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed,
Yep just one, do you know what that kind of 'nut' is called?

Dave
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed, pics are much clearer, Mixed emotions when you tear something down and it looks pretty good, eh?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: