Fixing a Leaky RF-45 Mill Head - Enco
The subject of proper orientation came up and is good one. Based on what Mayhem said I think this is the way they should be oriented. (See image below.) Please correct me if I'm wrong.
That bottom section of that gear assembly is what the seals are running on. You can see the wear marks from the old seals. The only point where oil has access to get by the seals is the joint between the upper seal and the gear assembly collar, for lack of a better word, that the upper seal rides against. Why would two seals be required?

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks given by:
Based on this picture from a seal manufacturer's web site, the orientation in my image is correct.

Ed

.jpg   rotary_1.jpg (Size: 6.62 KB / Downloads: 135)
Thanks given by:
Ed,
In terms of the dual seal I think just a back up in case one fails.

I have seen two seals used where the seals are packed with grease prior to installation the second seal helps to retain the grease for lubrication.

If the seals run without lubrication they die SlapheadSlapheadSlaphead

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2012, 10:35 AM)f350ca Wrote: He didn't ask how we (self included) put in seals, he asked how to do it properly.
Greg

But Greg, I always thought installed with no damage was a proper install.Chin

Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
Jerry.Popcorn

and yes Mayhem my set goes up to 3 1/2", so I do have some rather large sockets. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin.
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(04-29-2012, 12:21 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
In terms of the dual seal I think just a back up in case one fails.

I have seen two seals used where the seals are packed with grease prior to installation the second seal helps to retain the grease for lubrication.

If the seals run without lubrication they die SlapheadSlapheadSlaphead

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

That was my thought Dave,

It is meant to act as sort of a packing filled with grease. Bear in mind Ed this is just a guess, I know nothing about your mill.Chin

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I have a good selection of old bearing races at work for fitting seals
I must admit i also have a good selection of socketts
John
Thanks given by:
The OD of the seal is 45mm so I'm going to need to make a custom tool to seat the seals.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi
Ed
As long as it will clear the bore the seal fits in and has a nice smoth end a simple piece of tube will do
A machined tube with a depth stop would be even better
John
Thanks given by:
John,

A piece of tube would have been my preference but I don't have any tube near that size so I made this to press the seal in.

Ed

Thanks given by: