another part for the shaper
worked on this part today started the pattern last night, I have the part but the hex where your suppose to put a wrench has been all chewed up from someone using a pipe wrench on it.

the pattern
[Image: locking-nut00001.jpg]

the part front and back

[Image: locking-nut00002.jpg]

[Image: locking-nut00003.jpg]

I pulled it a little too quick and ended up with a shrink spot in it, but it will machine out seeing as how it gets a 1.125 hole in it thats threaded. some sand tearing around the hex but that will clean up, besides the hex needs to be milled so a wrench will sit on the flats square, and not have the draft trying to flip the wrench off.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Nice work. Just out of interest, could you have milled the chewed up hex to take a wrench or was it too bad?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I could of remachined it but that would of made it a pretty close call as to it still being strong enough to do the job what with a 1.062 inch hole thru the middle of it. I'll post a picture of the original in a little while its laying on the lathe I need to make a thread gauge to fit it cause without tearing the shaper completely apart I can't remove the shaft that it screws onto.

Also wheres the fun in that, mills in a nice cool spot. Furnace and melting gear is outside in 95 to 100 degree sunshine, nothing like a couple hours metal casting outside in Oklahoma in the summer time, SweatSweatSweat or maybe its the sun has finally getting to me.

DA

Thanks given by:
here's the photos of the original nut

outside
[Image: locking-nut00004.jpg]

Inside
[Image: locking-nut00005.jpg]

Thanks given by:
as my luck would have it, i screw it up threading it so now back to the furnace to cast another one. thing came out of the chuck while maing a pass thru it with the threading bar, and I'm not going to try to pick the thread back up to finish it with, when another is just a cast away.

Thanks given by:
here we go with the second shot at this. got the casting made this one came out a lot better then the first one. no shrink holes in it, one place where the sand tore when I opened the flask to remove the pattern. there are a couple things I can do to stop this one is the loosen up the dowel pin hole the other is too place the pattern in between the flask pins have to see what works when I do another one.

Photos the outside first
[Image: locking-nut00007.jpg]

inside
[Image: locking-nut00008.jpg]

faced on one side and threaded, still needs this side counterbored to a depth of about a half inch and the small diameter faced off to length
[Image: locking-nut00009.jpg]

DA

Thanks given by:
Nice casting David!

Ed
Thanks given by:
not so after you cut the skin off of it and see the inside, its full of microscopic porosity that won't affect the part strength wise but would make it harder then all get out to polish, I throwed in some new unmelted car wheel into the pot and all the curd and clearcoat on it contributes to this problem.

this is what I mean
[Image: porosity-in-casting.jpg]

another problem that contributes to this is I ran out of propane in the bottle I was using and had to switch to a different one which causes problems, nice thing is that not only me but the whole aluminum casting industry has this problem just the big guys have the tools to get rid of the absorbed gas.
I don't have the equipment nor can I afford to buy argon to flush the molten metal with.

Thanks given by:
here it is on the shaper

[Image: locking-nut00011.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Well I certainly cannot see those minor flaws now. Nice job.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: