Adjuster Nut
here's what I'm hoping to end up with for the adjust nut

[Image: adjuster-nut00002.jpg]
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
3D printer?
looks to me like a hole saw and jig saw job and lots of filing and sanding! too small to use a router table or wood shaper to round over the edges.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
3D printer you got to be kidding me I live in Oklahoma, and I don't have a router table or wood shaper. no I just throwed that together in my BobCad to show what I am basically after. the actual pattern was soft white pine so after doing the hole saw thing I cut the radius with a box knife and sanded it down some have the glue drying under the boss as I type. next is a coat of paint, then a wax fillet around the boss and some more paint. and tomorrow when its about a 105 degrees I'll probably get it poured. Since the finance manager for the foundry found money for some propane.

If I ever finish my cnc job on my mini mill i could of done most of these patterns with it at the touch of a button.

DA

Thanks given by: Hopefuldave
DA
your paying for propane??? you mean you don't just stick a pipe in the ground and it comes out for free????
There is oil east of me, I see the "burn off" flames, man I'd like to have that for a furnace. last gas I bought for the house and shops (yes got 4 tanks 500 gallon each) was the cheapest since 2000. I'd love to have a wood/gas generator! got lots of firewood and brush!
You have Bobcad, I'm still using plain cad yep cardboard aided design!
Speaking of Oklahoma did you ever cross paths with Walter Dale Smith? went by wordsmith or wdsmith. He lived in OKC area. Unfortunately he passed away a couple of years ago.
only 86 here but the 72% rh is making it seem hotter.
Thanks given by:
yep have to pay for the stuff even thou its a waste byproduct of making gasoline. and I don't have enough Natural Gas pressure here at the house to run on NG,

W.D yes I met him he lived about 10 miles from me.

BobCad I got a good deal on Version 24, do a lot of that CB Cad myself specially when I need it to fit the first time.

DA

Thanks given by:
not exactly like the rendering but close enough for me.

[Image: adjuster-nut00003.jpg]

Thanks given by:
I said what the heck and used brass this mornign

fresh from the sand

[Image: adjuster-nut00004.jpg]

After clean up still need t drill and thread

[Image: adjuster-nut00005.jpg]

looks a lot better here then it does laying in my hand

[Image: adjuster-nut00007.jpg]

Thanks given by:
DA
Got a question for you, 1st not saying it is wrong but I learned a different way. Sprue = part = riser (s) My sprue cutter is 1 1/4" cause that is what the brass sink drain extension is. riser are 5/8" or 3/4" hard copper tube. And the goal is to fill the part and have it come up the risers, while it is still hot and the pour is good they sort wobble / shimmy (hell I can't think of a better way to describe it) at the tops of sprue and risers. Now many of my parts are quite thin, 1/4" thick or less. Since aluminum does not have the mass of cast iron or brass it is more likely to cold short the pattern (not fill out) On a thick part there probably very little difference but on a thin part with a thicker section maybe starved of metal. I see John DoubleBoost did it that way on one of his casting video (may not have noticed on others) I learn my way from HS tech program, but we had a local foundry man who made sure we were doing it right. He started sweeping the floors and ended up running the company 25 years later. his name; Gene Snyder RIP My friend a super nice guy. Same technique aluminum or brass, and we are using oil sand, got it cheap!
The part looks good! you must have gotten up before the chickens and the heat! now you can take the rest of the day off!
Thanks given by:
Hi dallen, what's the blob [under the 1/2 round file] between the casting & the sprue for? is it to feed the casting as it contracts? [nice casting btw] brass can be a real bu**er to cast sometimes.
thanks Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Very nice
At least you got a usable casting
DroolDroolDroolDroolDroolDroolDrool
John
Thanks given by: