Tee Slot Cutters
So if I go about .005 wider and .010/.015 deeper I should be OK?

I am planning on making some Bimini top slide rails out of aluminum for my boat.
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2012, 09:58 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: Cut the original slot, like PixMan said, but go about 0.010/0.015 deeper than the "bottom" of the tee slot will be.

+1 to that!

It helps so much with the cutting action when the center of the T-slot cutter isn't in contact with the bottom of the slot you cut.

You might want more width clearance than just .005". If you look at the chart for cutters from those suppliers, you might notice that they are suggesting at least 1/64" (.015") over the bolt size as the slot width. Looks like the cutter "neck" diameters run 1/64th over nominal, so you should make the clearance slot width a little more than that.
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2012, 08:16 AM)PixMan Wrote:
(03-16-2012, 09:58 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: Cut the original slot, like PixMan said, but go about 0.010/0.015 deeper than the "bottom" of the tee slot will be.

+1 to that!

It helps so much with the cutting action when the center of the T-slot cutter isn't in contact with the bottom of the slot you cut.

Guys,

That's a good tip I never would have thought of but makes perfect sense.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I though it was a fairly silly question to ask about but it turns out that more than muself have learned something from this thread.

Thanks Guys
Thanks given by: