what I casted today
I was ask yesterday about the size of sprue cutter that I use. I use what is known in the dessert trade as a Cannoli tube, its a metal tube of varying sizes that is used to make a dessert pastry on. I find that its the right size for most of the metal casting that I do. I also have a variety of different tubes that I use which range in size for a small 3/8 brass tube up to a hunk that I cut out of a extension tube for a vacuum cleaner which is 1.250 in diameter.

I've watched a lot of youtube videos and have seen people using all kinds and sizes of tubes to cut sprue holes in casting molds with. most use the handy dandy sink drain tube cause its thin, cheap and makes a hole thats around and inch and a quarter in diameter. But not all molds can use the same size sprue hole, or in a better way of saying it is that not every mold needs the same size sprue hole, same as not every mold can use the same gating.

The castings that I have made in the last few days some of them were poured more then once because of different problems. mostly shrinkage or the sand tearing when opening the mold to remove the pattern. I remolded three of the parts today all in one flask. I did this to,
1. see if I could get them molded and pulled in one flask all at that same time.

2. was to see if useing larger gates would stop the shrinkage problem that the parts that I have already made and machined have.

3. and too check to see if a lower pouring temp would help.

Here are the photos.

number one shows how much shrinkage I ended up with by using a much larger gate into the part. this same part the first time I poured it shrunk in almost a quarter of and inch.
[Image: test-pour0002.jpg]

number two shows the surface finish on what was the bottom half of the mold.
[Image: test-pour0005.jpg]

number three shows the the top half of the mold, still haven't figured out why the difference in metal color from the top of the part to the bottom unless it has to do with the sand still having way too much oil in it.
[Image: test-pour0004.jpg]

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
look like a mighty fine job to me WorthyBig Grin , Looking forward to seeing the items all finished . Well done .
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
nice work
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I like the star Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave the star as you call it looks a lot better when done in brass, there is a photo of it in the Adjuster Nut Thread.

I like the way it turned out also.

Thanks for the compliments guy's

David

Thanks given by:
yummm cannolis! Thumbsup
what did you do? Rotfl made me hungry! Did you cook some over the furnace? look at the energy savings!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Very well done
I like the way you gated it
John
Thanks given by:
goaly I bought them tubes in a store in New Rochelle New York when there on a job one time and they have never had dough wrapped around them.

John I found one of the best gating tools is a set of tin measuring spoons that come on a metal ring in the standard measuring sizes. there being thin lets them cut thru the sand without busting up the edges of the channel your making. but then in one of the old casting books I have they say to make your gate cutter out of a tobacco tin. I try to make the runner long enough so that any trash and dross will get washed pass the gate before the mold starts to fill.

The pour that this thread is about was done in too small of a flask, when I do the parts in cast iron I'll have to drag out the bigger one which should allow me to put four of the parts in it.

Thanks given by:
measuring scoops? hmmm never thought of that, should work good!
here is a old pic of some small tools, the trick to having a good sprue or riser cutter is "NOT" to bang them on the side to get the sand out! a pat on the end and it pops out.

oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
David,

It's been many years since I've done any foundry work, but if memory serves me, pour temperature is more about surface finish on the casting than shrinkage. I believe a hot pour tends to make the surface of the casting more porous than a pour at the proper temp. Do you use a shrink rule when you make the patterns?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: