Let's See Your Mill
(03-31-2014, 07:12 PM)PixMan Wrote: JScott, How close to perpendicular did you find the spindle to be in relation to the table? Using a good bearing race and that type of indicator does make it easier to check, though it can be a big PITA to make adjustments.

I tweaked the head for about 15 minutes and got readings of 0.000 at 3 o'clock, 0.003 at 6 o'clock, 0.001 at 9 o'clock and 0.003 at 12 o'clock with 12 oriented closest to the column. So, it looks like I am good in the X and the Y for now. It was pretty easy to adjust the head but hard to hold the adjustment while re-tightening the bolts. I just had to do it by trial and error, hit and miss, until it was close.

I also checked the table to compare it to the bearing race and got the same numbers. The bearing race is pretty handy and I am going to oil it up and build a little wooden storage box for it so it will be nice and shiny for the next time.

And for sure I am watching for a 4" vise which should be just the ticket for this little mill. Also, here is more complete picture of the mill.

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
I'd love to get my hands on a gearhead unit like yours to replace the belt drive head that I have on my column mill drill.
I e-mailed an enquiry to Grizzly about availability and cost but knowing the way things go, if they would sell me the gearhead unit it'd probably cost more than the whole machine but I thought I'd ask.
Then there's the shipping and import costs.
The belt drive head that I have cracked, was welded (by a professional?) and cracked again just as if I had welded it myself.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,

Do you have an equivalent of a craigslist up nort? They show up quite often on craigslist down sout.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Wait! I just reread my post and it's a not a complete gearhead mill drill I'm looking for , it's just the head!

Yes Ed, it's called Kijiji and Craigslist here but they follow the rule of "you can't get that here".
I cold check the Kijiji for Montreal & Toronto as well as some of their local counterparts.

I think you have to have a large population in your immediate area for Craigslist type vehicles to be productive,
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: EdK
Further to the above, the old round column mill drill I have, cracked the casting where it clamps to the 4.5" column.
I had it welded and it cracked again right along side the welds.
It has fallen into disuse as my TREE mill handles all my milling needs.
The only reason I haven't scrapped the mill drill is because I'm an incurable hoarder.
With the impending refit of the Tree mill's original 3ph motor and new VFD drive I'd like to ensure I have a backup mill during my interminably long refits.
Nuff said??
Thanks given by:
Yes.
Thanks given by:
Steve, my mill is built like a tank except crude. Hopefully it will not crack in the future.

I was really glad that the measurements in the Y came out okay because breaking loose the base of the column would require the engine hoist. Also, there is a thick coat of red paint covering the joint between the base and the column which would have to come off. Then I would want to make it look pretty again.

Good luck on your search.
JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Here is my little mill. Not the coolest of the mills out there, but i guess it will do for some simple operations Chin

Its designed by a UK company and produced in Italy. Should be good quality, but it has some limitations as you can see.

[Image: 20140427-205616.jpg]

[Image: 20140428-103719.jpg]

[Image: 20140428-103713.jpg]

[Image: 20140428-103726.jpg]
ironman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2014.
Thanks given by:
Intersting mill. What is the slide ways on the top for - is there a horizontal milling attachment?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(04-28-2014, 06:41 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Intersting mill. What is the slide ways on the top for - is there a horizontal milling attachment?

Yes i think so, have not found much info of it, but i found this picture:

Not even sure what i could use that for, or how.. Rotfl

[Image: img2.gif]
ironman, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2014.
Thanks given by: