Let's See Your Mill
Is that a Van Norman?
Thanks given by:
I don't actually know what it is...

I don't think it's a Van Norman, most probably an Italian "Dormac" - the motors are Italian and have 1962 date stamps! It was advertised as a "Herbert Widdowson", not a maker but an importer - who were sole UK importers for Dormac in the 60's and 70's

It's missing the overarm and arbor support, has an universal head with a 40 taper (but no quill), 18 speeds 40 - 2000 RPM, power feeds and rapids on all three axes and a 45-0-45 48"x11" swivelling table. The feed / rapid motor is a HP on its own, I haven't got in as far as the main motor but I'm guessing it'll be 3 - 4 HP? I've budgeted 5 for the machine and have almost all the parts for a 7.5 HP 415v phase convertor to power it (waiting on some contactors and socketry).

My guess is it was a fairly serious mill when new, judging by the features, e.g. it has magnetic clutches and brakes for both the spindle and feed motors, everything seems pretty over-engineered and there's even some flaking left on part of the ways (not all, sadly!) which I discovered when I started cleaning it up - most of what looks like rust is actually a mix of machine oil and hardwood sawdust from the PO's woodworking business, which seems to be a damn good rust inhibitor :)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
Here you go! This Old Tony to the rescue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7Mwd6ey6g
Thanks given by:
Thanks Al, I'd seen that - mine has a dovetailed overarm though, or at least, it would if it had one... I may have to find a foundry and take in a couple of patterns: even though I'm putting together a foundry, I don't think an aluminium overarm would be rigid enough, and it would probably ring like a bell!

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
Almost bought a new RF45 style import machine, but this followed me home today instead. Wasn't sure whether to post it here or in "Vintage Machinery" Chin
Its a "war finish" Van Norman #12 with an almost full set of collets and a bunch of horizontal and shell mill arbors. Unfortunately no actual cutting tools.

My current plan is to give it a bit of a clean up without dismantling it too much, sort out any issues and then (hopefully) just use it. I'm a complete newbie to milling, so its going be a big learning curve!

One of the first things is to sort out the oil level windows.
This one on the feed gearbox is missing completely and the spindle gearbox one looks like its about to pop out too.

I guess time will tell whether I made the right decision or would have been better off getting the import machine.....

Steve
Thanks given by:
Nice find, Steve. Assuming the ways are in reasonable shape, this will be a much better mill than the import machine. You should be able to get new glass for the oil level windows from Mcmaster Carr.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Welcome aboard Steve - looking forward to reading about your progress.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(08-14-2017, 08:16 AM)TomG Wrote: You should be able to get new glass for the oil level windows from Mcmaster Carr.

Also from here.

http://www.jwwinco.com/products/section12/index.html

Ed
Thanks given by: SteveG
Ahh, the thrill of bringing a machine home Big Grin
Looks like it will be a very useful bit of kit. Look forward to seeing more pics with it operational.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone :)
I'm sure there will be a whole bunch of newbie questions - both about the mill and just milling in general !!

Steve
Thanks given by: