Let's See Your Mill
(04-05-2012, 12:14 PM)DanH Wrote: I will post up pictures on each build in the welding section.

Dan

Dan,

That would be wonderful. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
Here is mine, it has changed a bit since the photo was taken, but still basically the same machine.

It's a HM52 which is the Grizzly 3617 over in the US. It has both vertical and horizontal spindles, and come fitted with a power feed on the X and I added the Y and Z power feeds.
I has a 3 axis Sino DRO and I have fitted a glass quill scale as well. I also moved the X scale to the front and added way covers for coolant use.

Just after getting the machine I pulled it right down to the column and went through the lot giving it a good clean up. I also cleaned up some of the inside of the castings so I don't have to do it when I CNC it.

Pulling down a new $5000 dollar mill is not something everyone does, but this was a replacement after sending back 2 others and I wanted to make sure it was right and would last me for years. Also having owned this same type of mill before hand I was familiar with it and it's workings.

I have done plenty of mods, but I will post them up in other sections when I get to them.

The yellow you see in some photos is the factory paint and was on all the inside casting. I ended up with a 3 ltr ice cream container full of casting sand out of it after cleaning it up. Also found plenty of it in the oiler etc.

Dave

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
This is my Grizzly G0519 which is an RF-45 clone. I've added variable speed VFD, DRO, and motorized X and Z axis.

henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
I finally get to post with the cool kids! Thumbsup It was an eleven hour drive (one way) to go pick it up but I finally got the mill I was looking for. A Wells-Index 860C.

[Image: wellsindex008.jpg]

[Image: wellsindex009.jpg]

It needs a bit of work. The DRO "box" is fubar, the "X" power feed doesn't work and I'm missing the horizontal bar and support. All things that can be taken care of fairly easy.

I just have to figure out how I'm getting it off the trailer and into the back of my work space. Confused

I have my mill though! Happyyes

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Hey Ron - Nice looking mill. I'm glad you finally got one and good to see you both survived the road trip. I'm guessing this was a better/cheaper option than the others you looked at.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice one Ron Thumbsup

That is a mighty fine looking mill. Thumbsup

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Ron,

Good find. I've read good things about those Wells-Index mills. Have fun with it. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2012, 08:22 PM)henryarnold Wrote: This is my Grizzly G0519 which is an RF-45 clone. I've added variable speed VFD, DRO, and motorized X and Z axis.

Yours is the most decked out RF45 type mill I've seen yet. Very niceThumbsup
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
(05-16-2012, 04:55 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Hey Ron - Nice looking mill. I'm glad you finally got one and good to see you both survived the road trip. I'm guessing this was a better/cheaper option than the others you looked at.

Thanks all! I called Wells-Index yesterday and had them send me a manual/parts list for this model so I can hopefully get it all figured out.

Mayhem, I started looking at Bridgeports but wanted something with a little more "oomph" to it. I wanted the vertical mill badly but a horizontal has some features that I found attractive. This one, being both, seemed to fit the ticket and I can still get support/parts through "Wells-Index".

I maybe paid a little much for it but it was the only 860 I could find in the U.S. (or anywhere else) that was for sale. I could have gotten a rebuilt one straight from Wells-Index but they are asking right around $20k for one. (You should have seen my wife's face when I said, "Hon, I may have to spend $20k to get the mill I want." Blink) I saw this one for $3.5k and figured even if it cost me a couple of grand to bring it back to 100% I was still way ahead. At least that's the line I used on the wife. Cool At least it was much less "frosty" at the ScrapMetal residence.

-Ron
11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
Ron,

A good find, nice price Thumbsup so you're happy and your wife is happy Smile

So can we "pencil" your name down down for a restoration thread Thumbsup

I can save you a place Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: