Let's See Your Mill
Thank you for the kind comments, it was quite an adventure building it. My next job is a tailstock for the rotary table. I am thinking about an internal combustion engine as a future project.
NormanV, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2014.
Thanks given by:
New member here, first post.  Here's my old mill.  It's an old Bromson Number 7, made in Detroit.  There's some condos or apartments now where the factory used to be.

The mill is alot cleaner now than in this pic but I haven't taken any pics lately.  It was quite a rusty mess when I got it.  The motor may very well be the original motor, it's only 1/4 HP but it hasn't slowed down for anything I've done on it.  The Y axis (in out) was missing the crank so I made one out of some aluminum I had laying around. The X axis crank (can't see it in this pic) doubles as the Z axis (up/down) crank.  There is no quill but I really haven't missed it.  The main limitation is it uses 3C collets and those don't go much above 1/2".  In the pic it's mounted to a benchtop.

[Image: mill6.jpg]

Vince.
Thanks given by:
Here's pics of my mills.

This benchtop horizontal weights about 300lbs. I'll be restoring this over the winter.

[Image: IMG_20141123_194510.jpg]

And here's my little benchtop vertical mill. 

[Image: IMG_00000218.jpg]
Steve S
Check out MyShopNotes on youtube.
Thanks given by:
Hi Vince,
A nice sturdy looking mill you have there  Thumbsup
and Welcome to MetalworkingFun Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Steve,
Heck of a bench top horizontal mill  Smile 
The vertical is more like it  Big Grin  nice machine  Thumbsup 
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH
Thanks given by:
[Image: AtlasMill.jpg]

My Atlas horizontal mill. I used to use it as a "vertical" too, with end mills and an angle plate since the arbor takes a 2MT and I have a range of collets and mill holders to fit. I also have a miniature MT2 3 jaw chuck that fits.
Thanks given by:
I wish I had room for a horizontal at times, and envy those who have them. Nothing better for deep slotting and gear cutting (short of a Gleason gear hob.)
Thanks given by:
(12-13-2014, 11:13 PM)PixMan Wrote: I wish I had room for a horizontal at times, and envy those who have them. Nothing better for deep slotting and gear cutting (short of a Gleason gear hob.)

All I'm going to say is that I have seen your basement...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
If you think I'm going to start a second machine shop in my home, yer nuts man.
Thanks given by:
(12-17-2014, 07:36 AM)PixMan Wrote: If you think I'm going to start a second machine shop in my home, yer nuts man.

Nope - I've been tested Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: