Logan 825
Hi All.

I thought I would start a thread on my Logan 825 lathe as I will be doing a total restoration on it. Many of you looked at my request for a Aloris AXA and that area should be for buy and sell etc so I have started this one here.
As far as my e-bay purchase I will let you all know how that works out when it arrives but I am sure that I will be just getting the tool post when I look at the price but we will see.
toolsinbox, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Stevec asked what kind of lathe it is and was it worth spending money for an Aloris AXA and a good question, one I am sure my wife will be asking lolol. In addition to that was the request for pics well I forgot my camera at the lake GRRRRRRRRRR. But ...... Wait! This morning I entered the 21st century and picked up an Iphone 4s with an 8 mpixel camera built in so all I have to learn is how to get pics off the phone and onto my pc and learn how to upload them here.
First to Stevec question about the lathe. it was extremely dirty and in need of a good cleaning. When I bought it I ran a Starrett last word indicator on the spindle and there was zero runout and it ran very smooth. I got it from a machine shop in the country and it was the guy's Grandfathers and was almost never used by him. I paid $ 500.00 for it and it came with a pile of stock Logan accessories which I will list in my next post.

Since setting it up in my basement I have started cleaning all the gunk off of it. This gunk is kinda new to me as I am used to sawdust gunk not this stuff! I have started stripping some of the paint and that's where I am at in the now.
Thanks given by:
This is what came with the lathe. Again I will post pics as soon as I learn how to with this iphone.

Manual ( photo copy version)

I got the steady rest

the Logan milling attachment

the taper attachment except I am missing the part that attaches the guide bar which the manual calls the "slide block"

3 jaw and 4 jaw with extra jaws

Jacobs chuck ( I think its a 1/2 inch)

dead center ( pretty rough shape)

Lantern tool post ( with out rocker wedge thing or dished out spacer washer)

right hand Armstrong holder
left hand Armstrong
boring bar holder Armstrong

There are a few things that I am forgetting but that's it for what comes to mind.
Thanks given by:
The lathe is a " peg leg" style with the rubber donut foot trashed. It has cast iron legs with a weld repair to one leg. It has a mint chip pan and quick change gearbox. The leather belt was pretty slack so without a belt lacer I made my first repair. I cut about an inch off of one end and used the lacing clip to mark the holes and I used my tiny Electro-Mechano sensitive drill press to drill the small holes and re- belted it up and had her running even better. I installed a Rockwell 1/2 hp motor while I re-build the stock one that came with it.
So far that's where I am at. Now I will get into this Iphone to figure it out.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks given by:
Ok here are some pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
That should clean up very nicely. Keep the pictures coming. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
That is a nice looking lathe. You should try electrolysis for the rust on the removable bits - it works a treat. I'm looking forward to see how you progress on this rebuild.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Splendid lathe, going to look good restored Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Good buy for $500.00 with the attachments.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. 2 quick questions. There is a ball type oiler thing just in front of the quill lock on the tail stock, how does that work? And further back on the tail stock there is another brass oiler of some kind that looks slotted with a small ball in the center that looks trashed but I cant say for sure as I am not sure how it works.. What is that for and how does it work? I ask this so if I remove them I don't want to junk anything.

Thanks for your help.
Thanks given by: