Logan 825
(08-20-2013, 12:11 AM)toolsinbox Wrote: Thanks for the encouragement from all of you. 2 quick questions. There is a ball type oiler thing just in front of the quill lock on the tail stock, how does that work? And further back on the tail stock there is another brass oiler of some kind that looks slotted with a small ball in the center that looks trashed but I cant say for sure as I am not sure how it works.. What is that for and how does it work? I ask this so if I remove them I don't want to junk anything.

Thanks for your help.

Post some pictures of the oilers.

The second one sounds like a Gits ball oiler.

http://www.gitsmfg.com/style-gb-ball-oiler/

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi Ed and thanks.
Yes it is a Gitz ball oiler. I may have to try and get that out from under side. The ball does not move could be some felt is jammed in it. The other thing is in the tailstock pic I posted.
toolsinbox, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
(08-20-2013, 08:30 AM)toolsinbox Wrote: Hi Ed and thanks.
Yes it is a Gitz ball oiler. I may have to try and get that out from under side. The ball does not move could be some felt is jammed in it. The other thing is in the tailstock pic I posted.

If you plan on putting a new Gitz ball oiler in you can remove the old one by screwing a sheet metal or wood screw into it and yanking it out.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I bought a 3c collet draw bar off ebay today. I paid $ 20 bucks for it. It looks old school with a round handle that looks like my carriage advancing round thing. It says that it takes 3c or at3 collets. What is the deference and is it feasible for me to make the collet adapter that would be a m3 taper too 3c? I ask if this is a beginner type of thing? I also need the spindle thread protector as well. I think that would be fun to make and related to that is it ok to make a spindle thread protector out of brass? Oh ya I need collets too! I will keep my eyes open for those.

Attached Files
.jpg   draw bar 1.jpg (Size: 32.38 KB / Downloads: 91)
Thanks given by:
Here you go.

http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=8
http://www.tools4cheap.net/products.php?cat=22

Ed
Thanks given by:
Here is my new Aloris AXA QCTP. No holders with it but Aloris is sending me a machined t-nut to fit my compound.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Hmmm, other than the logo it looks the same as my Phase II. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
It came sealed in an Aloris box marked made in the USA
Thanks given by:
Well I had some time tonight so I tried my hand at the milling attachment I got with my lathe and worked on the t nut for tool post. Even though I am getting one in the mail I figured I would give it a go. All I have for milling tooling is 2 or 3 hundred 1/4 inch solid carbide burs and 2 flute end mills from a local airplane plant. They worked very well but slow.
I crept up on the piece and fluked it as it fits really good and snug. No wiggle.

Attached Files
.jpg   t nut 3.JPG (Size: 31.23 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg   t nut 5.JPG (Size: 48.41 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg   t nut 6.JPG (Size: 51.64 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg   t nut 1.JPG (Size: 53.97 KB / Downloads: 44)
.jpg   t nut 4.JPG (Size: 22.43 KB / Downloads: 44)
Thanks given by:
The other thing on the tail stock is a oil or white lead dauber. It is usually missing.i sure would like to have some drawings of your taper attachment. I have to 820 's and no taper attachment.
Thanks scruffy in the Ohio snowpile
Scruffy, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2014.
Thanks given by: