how I make sand core's
DA,
have you seen SS rated? I can imagine they various concentrations, going to google it.
That didn't take to long http://www.sodiumsilicate.org/liquid-sod...92771.html
I think we are using non alkaline or neutral is that what you use? i.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
When making cores, as in your video, how do you decide how long to make it? For example, if I want to core the dividing head(see thread on Critique my patterns) body for the shafting, do I make the core as long as the body, or longer and support it the ends of the pattern? How much longer?
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(08-26-2013, 05:00 PM)oldgoaly Wrote: One of our locals used a HF paint spray gun, but it took 2 big hf air compressor running to give it enough air,

Maybe one of those low pressure spray guns that run off of a vacuum cleaner outlet might be the go???

But for waste oil I've been thinking of using a petrol fuel injector running off of a pulse width modulated power supply, we use these all the time in turbocharger waste gate controllers, coupled with an old school flap style automotive air flow meter and a little bit of basic circuitry it'd be a very powerful base for a burner controller, of course it would need an oil pump and a blower but with a little more electronics It would be very possible to have auto controlled furnace temperature as well. so literally light the sucker up and dial up the desired temperature which would auto control itself.

Maybe one day... I can dream...
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2013, 09:27 AM)chucketn Wrote: When making cores, as in your video, how do you decide how long to make it? For example, if I want to core the dividing head(see thread on Critique my patterns) body for the shafting, do I make the core as long as the body, or longer and support it the ends of the pattern? How much longer?
Chuck

Hi
You make the cores longer about 1/2 inch a side
The core is supported on core prints
This video may help

John
Thanks given by:
Thanks for posting the link, John. Another excellent video, mistakes and all.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(08-30-2013, 08:10 AM)oldgoaly Wrote: DA,
have you seen SS rated? I can imagine they various concentrations, going to google it.
That didn't take to long http://www.sodiumsilicate.org/liquid-sod...92771.html
I think we are using non alkaline or neutral is that what you use? i.

what I use is what ever the guy at the foundry downtown sold me, I know it has a high solids content an is thick as corn syurp. the stuff I got from a guy in tulsa isn't quite that thick and is clearer in color.

they both work the crap I got from the drug store that I was told would work that cost 24 bucks a quart wouldn't harden, nor would the junk that the ceramics shop sold me for 10 dollars a gallon that is used as a flocing agent in the slip.

I have been told by a guy that you can take that fancy cat litter and sodium Hydroxide and make your own.

of course if you like cookies you can get my ex to make you some biscuts that will outlast the cast iron I melt and pour.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: