how I make sand core's
I picked up an electric stove that was being tossed as part of a kitchen renovation. I have it out in my shop for powder coating, pre-heating cast iron for welding etc. No heat in the house and it was free.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
DA
I'm surprised you don't have a solar oven for cores <grin> some of that hot air is coming up this way, I'll end up running the A/C in the big shop, no a/c in the hotshop.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
oven hell, the PID On my burner control box today said it was a 119 degrees laying on the grass who needs and oven. I need to get this damn oil burner figured out again so I can melt iron and stop buying propane, or I'm gonna have to claim kin to Hank Hill over at the propane place.

I made a core last night that I put in a mold today sorry no pictures, it took a 1/4 cup of sand an about 1/8 teaspoon of SS and that was probably too much a nickels worth of gas, now how am I going to beat that cooking them in and oven and I was done in 5 minutes.Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinSmiley-dancenana

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
what type of burner are you using? somewhere in the pigpen is state of the art 1960's Dwyer oil burner testing tools <grin>
One of our locals used a HF paint spray gun, but it took 2 big hf air compressor running to give it enough air, that was a few years ago, unfortunately he got a divorce and went back to school, haven't heard much from him since.
The Farmer's Almanac is calling for a colder than normal winter it's got me thinking of filling the propane tanks. not talking about 30 pounders 400 gallons they hold, got 4 what did you pay for LP last time?
Thanks given by:
I just filled a 30 lb bottle today and it was 26.00, I don't have a big tank, anyway not yet a friend is suppose to store his 500 gallon tank here and I get whats left in it which may be something then again it may be nothing.

My burner is made with a hago syphon nozzle and a Thomas air pump, and I use a big shop vac motor for the rest of the combustion air. plus I have it setup so I can burn oil, or gas, or both of them at the same time. It works, just been a while since I had it out to play with and I been playing hell getting the trash out of the line which reminds me I gotta go get one of them elcheapo fuel filters.

I'll get all the stuff in one pile and take a photo of it for you.

DA

Thanks given by:
(08-26-2013, 09:38 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I picked up an electric stove that was being tossed as part of a kitchen renovation. I have it out in my shop for powder coating, pre-heating cast iron for welding etc. No heat in the house and it was free.
You won't need much heat over there Mayhem [you lucky sods!!] where doubleboost & I live it's on the NE of england & we get freezing north easterners of the sea, mind you we have actually had a summer this year!! btw Mrs Artfull & I are coming over to perth [joondalup]in march for a month to stay with our daughter & family, the mrs got caught in the duststorm last time & had to stay for a month.
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
26$, 30/lbs, 4lbs to the gallon almost 4$ a gallon, so it is cheaper in bulk, I paid less than 2$ gallon earlier this year, don't remember if it was 1.69 or 1.89, but 1st time since 2001 it has been below 2$ Just wondering if they will give you a break on the price for once a year fill up? If I wasn't such a lazy basturd I'd have some type of wood-gas generator burner.
Thanks given by:
its always cheaper to buy a hundred gallons then it is to buy it by the bottle.

Thanks given by:
(08-18-2013, 07:23 PM)dallen Wrote: I throwed together a short video on how I do a Sand and Sodium Silicate Core when I need them like for the Leadscrew Support casting I have been working on.

Not mentioned in the video is that the needle I have on the gas hose if from one of the injector needle you get at the grocery store normally they come with that injectable marinade, but they can be bought by themselves.

Thanks for the Video. I never would have believed it was so easy.
I happen to have 2 pints of SS I got as free samples. A friend gave me the web address and I e-mailed for a sample. Free including the shipping.
I'm going to try a core for my dividing head casting.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
the Sodium Silicate needs to have a high solids content, or it won't bind the sand together.

the amount of SS that I used in that video is probably twice as much as was really needed but with no scale I just add in enough that the sand looses it dry look.

I love free samples specially when its something I can use,

DA

Thanks given by: