Homemade 20 ton hydraulic press
Tony,

That would be wonderful. The more pictures the better.

Ed
Thanks given by:
hi well dun a good tool to have
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I started one 15 years ago and never finished it until last summer. I am in the process of removing the 6t jack and adding a 20t. Just haven't done it yet...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Nice one Bob, handy bit of kit to have Smile

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice press Bob. Doesn't look to hard to make either. Smiley-signs107

Ed
Thanks given by:
The only problem i see with some of these is there is no support for the ram below the jack to keep it straight. see attached pic of my press i got it in a deal some 30 yrs ago it came with a 12 ton jack when that is not enough i use one of my 20 ton air operated jacks. tom

I will take a better pic when i8 get home to show the top of the press but anyway the top of the jack is a 1.75 inch bar across two large threaded rods , the top of the jack pushes on this bar, the ram is below the jack and has a plate the jack sits on + below that the ran is 1.5 inches in dia and is supported in two places so that it can only apply pressure straight down nd cannot jump out to either side no matter what. tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Good points Tom.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2012, 11:35 AM)EdAK Wrote: Good points Tom.

Ed

If you look close on the uprights on the sides there are 2 channels that go across the top and on this there is a plate on top + a matching plate on the bottom that hold the ram in position so there is no way it can kick out to the side. It isw a good design and very strong, i have used it well beyond its rated capacity with the 20 ton jack with no problem. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2012, 11:02 AM)TOM REED Wrote: The only problem i see with some of these is there is no support for the ram below the jack to keep it straight. see attached pic of my press i got it in a deal some 30 yrs ago it came with a 12 ton jack when that is not enough i use one of my 20 ton air operated jacks. tom

I will take a better pic when i8 get home to show the top of the press but anyway the top of the jack is a 1.75 inch bar across two large threaded rods , the top of the jack pushes on this bar, the ram is below the jack and has a plate the jack sits on + below that the ran is 1.5 inches in dia and is supported in two places so that it can only apply pressure straight down nd cannot jump out to either side no matter what. tom

Your right Tom, that's my one complaint with my HF 20 ton press.

Rebuilding my press is on my to do list, Smile such a long list! Happyno

Jerry.Popcorn

ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
(03-21-2012, 11:02 AM)TOM REED Wrote: I will take a better pic when i8 get home to show the top of the press....

Tom,

When you get a chance, could you please post a picture of the top of the press? I need to make or buy one soon and could use all of the ideas I can get.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by: