Homemade 20 ton hydraulic press
(07-27-2012, 09:52 PM)pineyfolks Wrote: Here's mine I built it a few years back , used it often.

Do you have any plans drawn up for that?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-28-2012, 09:33 AM)EdK Wrote:
(07-27-2012, 09:52 PM)pineyfolks Wrote: Here's mine I built it a few years back , used it often.

Do you have any plans drawn up for that?

Thanks,
Ed

Sorry no plans it was a build as you go. Its made from 4x4x3/8 sq tubing, 8" channel with webs welded in, Its 80" tall and 33" wide The rest is bolted together with grade 8 bolts
Thanks given by: EdK
(03-19-2012, 04:12 PM)stevec Wrote: Here's a couple of pics of my 10 ton I beam press.

I was having some problems with it going out of alignment sort of like a mouth opening wider and wider.

Hello Steve,
If you wanted to make a similar press but at least twice as strong you simply need to rotate the column by 90 degrees, having an I beam in the correct orientation makes a huge difference to it's bending strength, I really like the design though, simple rugged and thrifty use of floor space, I think I'll build one one day, the best thing is that it will press really awkward shapes.

All,
I just went looking for a photo of my press and can't believe that I haven't got one, the press is not yet finished, I used an old hydraulic cylinder with a 5" bore hooked up to a pneumatic hydraulic porta power pump for an approximate rating of 45 tons and a stroke of about 18 inches(i wanted to use it for a little deep drawing work too), for bearings I would limit the ram to 8 inches travel, the Ram has no return spring so the plan is to hook the bottom chamber up to the compressed air to return, no need to fit any valving as the air will compress under 45 tons of oil Whip It stands about nine feet tall including the ram on top and the side rails are made from 6"x1" plates x 4 of and the top and pressing table beams are fabbed from 10 or 12"x1" plates(10 or 12" not sure it's been a while) and it'll take a full 3 feet between the cloumns, I used the flat plate design rather than channel as I want to be able to press form chassis rails and it's far easier to slide them through the columns than trying to some how do them at an angle.
I'll take a photo next time I get a chance.
Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Rick,

That sounds like a beast. Looking forward to the pictures.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hello Ed,
Yeah, it was Press #4 for me (not counting folding and bending presses)so I wanted it to be the last press I ever needed to build, My first one used a 10 ton porta power, then I did one with a 16 ton bottle jack, #3 was with a 20ton pneumatic bottle jack. Each one was a little different to get over a shortcomings in the last, this time I figured, lets go BIG, if I wind the pressure relief valve up on the pump it should push 65-80 tons but that's just silly. If you can't do it with 50 tons get another plan.
As for folding and forming presses;
This one was for forming the radiused corners on truck diesel tanks we needed 16 tanks made and wanted radiused corners, the local tank manufacturer said that the radius we wanted was "impossible" sorry buddy, wrong answer.

Then we needed a whole heap of pressed bends in 4mm plate, so this one came along

By the end of it's development we were bending 8mmx100mm plate in it, cold, that is, with only 12 tons.
Both of these were built in the shipping container workshop I have talked about, I still have the little bender stored out in a container, I rarely use it now as I use the Flypresses for most forming.

Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Rick,
You don't mess about once you get started Thumbsup
Good stuff Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Rick
The air return works well, I used a 4 inch cylinder on a C frame press. It will hold air on the bottom side for about a month, then needs recharged to return.

On the FUN side. Try pressing a phone book against a flat plate. It starts out curling a bit around the ram then at about 30 tons lets go and punches a nice round hole through every page. With quite a dang I might add.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Great workmanship and great photos everyone, thanks for posting these!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(08-06-2012, 04:41 PM)Rickabilly Wrote: ...I still have the little bender stored out in a container, I rarely use it now as I use the Flypresses for most forming...

Should I email or PM you my address Rick???
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Rick , I like your bender, I haven't seen that design before. Looks like it gives you a good view of what your doing. Good job!
Thanks given by: