Questions on the LH Sparey Dividing head
I’m working away making patterns to cast the major parts of LH Sparey’s dividing head that several people are building. My version will hopefully be used on my MicroMark 7x14 Lathe and my X2 mill.
I have no problem (yet) visualizing how it will be used on the X2, but the lathe is giving me problems. Has anyone built this DH for use on the SEIG 7x lathes? How do you use it? Can you post a picture of your setup?
My current idea is to build the DH at center height for the lathe and include 2 v-notches for the ways, at 90° to each other, and slots on each end for T-bolts for use on the mill. But then I thought if I’m going to line bore it on the lathe (first such project) I need to locate it on the cross slide. Some guidance please?
Maybe make the base as a separate bolt on?
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Hi
Chuck
It needs to be mounted on the cross slide on the lathe
So it can be offset to drill say a hole pattern
Mounting it on the ways would just replicate the tail stock
Regards
John
Thanks given by:
Thanks, John. I'm beginning to see the light!
Keep up the great work, I'm following your lead.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
Hi Chuck, doubleboost actually has a series of excellent videos in the video section showing how he is making a dividing head for his lathe. These are well worth watching.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Rotfl Rotfl Not to worry, Mayhem. Watching every new chapter, and have them all saved to disk. Working on my paterns now!
Having spent 8 years in Great Britian with the USAF, married a local girl with a Geordie uncle and a brother-in -law from Hull, I'm probably one of the few Yanks that can understand John!RotflRotflRotfl
Chuck
Thanks given by:
Chuck,
you know what a twatstard is???? I do now!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Chuck,

I had a thought, the Z axis is always the driven axis, so you'd use the dividing head on the lathe as though it was lying on it's side on the mill, mounted on an angle plate.

Regards, Matthew
mattinker, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: